AMD Epyc Bergamo / Genoa (9734/9534) for ~40% of MSRP (and "free" mboard) @ NewEgg (2023/07/16)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I'm waiting for more and better Genoa motherboard options before considering upgrading myself. There's not a lot of great options at the moment. The problem is all the ATX options have either have few PCIe slot options because the 12 DIMM slots take up too much room, or they only go with 8 DIMM slots.
I don't mind the E-ATX options but everything above ROME is just so expensive right now ;(

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
What E-ATX options are you looking at?
Just saying if there is such a thing as "cheap" Genoa MB option that would have 12 dimm slots AND full complements of PCIe slots which would likely be E-ATX. But i am sure there is no such "cheap" options...

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just saying if there is such a thing as "cheap" Genoa MB option that would have 12 dimm slots AND full complements of PCIe slots which would likely be E-ATX. But i am sure there is no such "cheap" options...
I don't even care about cheap at this point. Just something with all the PCIe slots and DIMM slots combined.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
I'm waiting for more and better Genoa motherboard options before considering upgrading myself. There's not a lot of great options at the moment. The problem is all the ATX options have either have few PCIe slot options because the 12 DIMM slots take up too much room, or they only go with 8 DIMM slots.
I think this is just an issue with the height of the ATX spec. You can't really go beyond 5 PCIe Slots + 12 dimms because of the height restrictions of a typical "workstation style" ATX board. See the supermicro h13ssl for example (though I wish they had just gone with 5 x16 slots instead of those random x8s):

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think this is just an issue with the height of the ATX spec. You can't really go beyond 5 PCIe Slots + 12 dimms because of the height restrictions of a typical "workstation style" ATX board. See the supermicro h13ssl for example (though I wish they had just gone with 5 x16 slots instead of those random x8s):

Supermicro has a funny definition for ATX...lol.. 12X10 is NOT standard ATX. Then again, this is about the closest you will get to ATX and still have full 12 dimms and 5 pcie

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Supermicro has a funny definition for ATX...lol.. 12X10 is NOT standard ATX. Then again, this is about the closest you will get to ATX and still have full 12 dimms and 5 pcie
ah yeah, evidence more to point then that the height limitations of ATX is kind of limiting with this platform, at least for workstation-style boards.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

Yea I fully understand what the limitations are. It's just frustrating to not be able to use the full PCIe potential of your CPU/motherboard. It is this fact that has held me back from going with an EPYC 9000 series platform to this point. I think in the end, I'll probably wind up just going with an 8 DIMM board with more PCIe slots when the price is right. Something like one of these most likely.

Reactions: autoturk

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
Yea I fully understand what the limitations are. It's just frustrating to not be able to use the full PCIe potential of your CPU/motherboard. It is this fact that has held me back from going with an EPYC 9000 series platform to this point. I think in the end, I'll probably wind up just going with an 8 DIMM board with more PCIe slots when the price is right. Something like one of these most likely.

If you aren't using 96 cores then 8 channel will do you fine anyway. In fact 96 is probably fine with 8 channel. Genoa isn't as bandwidth starved as Milan was. Even at a mild 4800
Don't get me wrong, Milan isn't starved at all but Zen 3 is rather on the edge of being starved

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
We bought some single CPU ones with 24 dimm slots quite nice but also a pain! Nothing in-between really worked as it should following all the guides and even trying our own way. It was basically 12 dimms or 24 dimms nothing else worked.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Rome is definitely the best overall value right now but Milan can be had for decent prices. I'm sticking with my Milan setup for the foreseeable future.

Cute_SC2

Mar 7, 2022
Rome is definitely the best overall value right now but Milan can be had for decent prices. I'm sticking with my Milan setup for the foreseeable future.
Especially the OEM Milan CPUs are sometimes pretty cheap. Sadly I can't use them on my current project. I am Bios limited to Rome with max TDP of 225W.
And the next one will be Genoa 96core so..., no Milan for me it seems.