AMD 3600 Desktop

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Swapped in my new RAM\CPU\MOBO

Updated Bios.
Reset to factory Defaults.
Reboot.
Reset to factory Defaults.
Check Windows Mode. Was on balanced, now on "Power Saving" CPU Power State low 5% high 100%.
BIOS is 100% "Factor" no OC Feature enabled. RAM OC PRofile enabled is it.

My CPU is 4.15ghz and will not idle lower or fluctuate, according to HW INfo 4.15 is base 4.2 is boost.

This thing is running at full frequency\boost all the time, and using about 25w MORE than the Intel System it replaced, which was an even higher power CPU too.

I Googled this, apparently it's been an on-going known problem since last June (first I saw it).

Is there anyway to fix this or should I RMA this one? Is it a BIOS problem they can fix or?

Not so happy after this rebuild :(

I purposely got the 3600x as I want the lower power, not every-little-bit-o-performance as it's already > than the Intel Im' replacing regarding performance. So I'd rather not buy a higher power CPU :/

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Did you check in taskmanager under details if there was an application using an entire core 100%?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
"System Idle Process" 90-96%

Not sure this is it...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
For the time being I've enabled SLEEP so it drops power usage to almost none. I've never been a fan of this as it takes longer to come back then if I just turn it off... well, that was the case with Intel, AMD boot is much more delayed than Intel so SLEEP it is for now.

I have identical CPU (different mobo) I haven't tested it yet well see any difference.

Feb 8, 2016
Potential work around:
Set max processor state to 99%.

Was seeing high idle speeds & very high CPU temperatures during a prime95 run. Changed the setting to something less than 100% caused idle speeds to settle down & lowered the prime95 CPU temperatures. Hope the setting change makes a difference for you.

Reference System:
asrock ab350 pro4
2600x