Amazon Prime failing a lot lately?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I don't know if it's just my poor luck or if this is happening to others? My Amazon Prime orders have been late at least 3 times in the last couple of months. For something that was listed as "same day delivery", although I didn't meet the $35 min requirement, I was expecting it to arrive in 2 days; it is schedule to arrive next Wednesday when I placed the order last Thursday. In the past, I would get it at least by Saturday and I would consider Monday acceptable. I ended up cancelling my order and ordering it somewhere else for less. I paid a bit more because it was worth the higher price if I could get it this weekend since I had time this weekend to work on the project. I don't know how something they have staged in a nearby warehouse for "same day" delivery can't arrive until next Wednesday?

Am I the only person noticing Amazon Prime failing a lot lately? I pay for Amazon Prime primarily for the free 2-day shipping...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Amazon has gotten a bit better for me actually. It used to be same day delivery would fail, but lately, I have been getting it on time.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It always fails for me when I get that random package via FedEx from Amazon, and as of the last 6 months USPS too since they now deliver ridiculously large packages that should be coming UPS or FedEx.

FedEx for my location is an "as needed" delivery service and during the holiday season it's daily and during the rest of the year 3-4 times a week, not really a big deal but sometimes it falls to once a week! They also are contractors that have cheap/low-end vehicles without 4x4 and in winter they simply do not deliver. I finally got FedEx to leave the packages at the bottom of my driveway (UPS changes vehicles in winter to a F-450 pickup). FedEx seems to be how amazon can do Saturday delivery if not using USPS. For our location (maybe others? nationally?) UPS lost the amazon contract so where we used to get an occasional USPS package now at least 85% are from USPS and probably nearly the rest UPS with the random fedex/smartpost/dhl/ontrac. Two things come to mind recently that should have went UPS or FedEx they were a folding table off of amazon and a folding outdoor chair!! How could that fit in a normal mail delivery vehicle (small white jeepish thing) let alone a owner-operator vehicle of choice!

I utilize amazon many times per-year as it's much cheaper than paying gas to drive someplace when the minimum fuel bill is $15+depending time of year and fuel cost.

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
It always fails for me when I get that random package via FedEx from Amazon, and as of the last 6 months USPS too since they now deliver ridiculously large packages that should be coming UPS or FedEx.

FedEx for my location is an "as needed" delivery service and during the holiday season it's daily and during the rest of the year 3-4 times a week, not really a big deal but sometimes it falls to once a week! They also are contractors that have cheap/low-end vehicles without 4x4 and in winter they simply do not deliver. I finally got FedEx to leave the packages at the bottom of my driveway (UPS changes vehicles in winter to a F-450 pickup). FedEx seems to be how amazon can do Saturday delivery if not using USPS. For our location (maybe others? nationally?) UPS lost the amazon contract so where we used to get an occasional USPS package now at least 85% are from USPS and probably nearly the rest UPS with the random fedex/smartpost/dhl/ontrac. Two things come to mind recently that should have went UPS or FedEx they were a folding table off of amazon and a folding outdoor chair!! How could that fit in a normal mail delivery vehicle (small white jeepish thing) let alone a owner-operator vehicle of choice!

I utilize amazon many times per-year as it's much cheaper than paying gas to drive someplace when the minimum fuel bill is $15+depending time of year and fuel cost.
well, in your case it sounds like you live in some remote location that is inconvenient for delivery.... in my case, i'm in the middle of suburbia, there's a USPS and UPS station just 2 miles away.

however, i don't think my problem is the delivery service, I think it is Amazon logistics. It's not like a package was sent out by Amazon and took several days to get to me; Amazon simply hasn't begun processing my order! that thing i ordered last Thursday wasn't even ready to ship yet and hence why I was able to cancel it today. i'm just starting to feel like the value of my prime membership is starting to diminish...

Last edited:
Reactions: cactus

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
If your package is later than what Amazon states, call/web chat and complain. They will credit you usually 10-15$. I also live in in the suburbs outside a major east coast town and have noticed 3 of my last 15 orders have been late. I did have one that was scheduled for a week to be delivered and was delivered in 2 days, so who knows what is up.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Don't order a heap, but one of my recent prime orders was a day late. I got the sense it was delayed between the two Amazon fulfilment warehouses, (once it arrived at the local warehouse it was tendered to USPS quickly) so maybe they're having issues with their own delivery network?

Or a hangover from Prime Day?

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
Noticed my orders aren't being passed off to USPS until the day before the 2 day delivery guarantee. It's true I'm within 2ish hrs of a major fulfillment center so it can work but should anything go wrong there isn't much time to fix it. They have been good when I've brought up delivers missing the guarantee. I've also had issues with the packaging used on Amazon Fulfilled products. They used large padded envelopes to send a FIDO U2F keyfob. Sadly USPS processing made it look crushed before I ever got it so I contacted the seller and then Amazon which was promptly refunded. Unfortunately my replacement I ordered was shipped the same way but no visible signs of damage.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
We have a lot of Amazon packages come to our door. Out of the last 5 orders, I have had 4 a day late(came in 2 days vs 1 as ordered). Two on things I could have gotten from Lowes on the way home from work, but thought, oh Amazon will have it here tomorrow, I'll just do that. Do a customer service chat, "Sorry, it is out of our hands and is the fault of the delivery company." "Who is the delivery company?" "Amazon Logistics." ... I get they are a subsidiary or something and not connected outside where the money comes from, but that is BS. Heck even if they told me at the start of the day that it was going to be late, I'd be fine, but they just roll off the delivery window at 9 pm.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I ordered 5 lbs. of jelly beans 2 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped. :confused:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Amazon just lost a sale. I needed an ioSafe backup drive. Newegg and Amazon had the same price. Amazon charged sales tax, Newegg didn't. Newegg won!!

Minimum

Nov 4, 2016
Aliso Viejo, CA
I have only had Amazon fail once at getting a package to me on time. That was 2 years ago.

That said, I'm not too impressed by Amazon Prime anymore. Almost all of my Prime packages end up arriving towards the end of the day. They seem to really be pushing the envelope there. Lots of other stores are offering competitive shipping without having to fork out $100/yr. I'm currently debating on if I should renew my Prime or not when it expires in August. I just have trouble justifying that $100 price tag when I have so many other free options on the board.

Recently I have become a big fan of B&H. They're almost always cheaper than Amazon because of the tax and they offer relatively quick shipping without the fee. They're not Prime quick but they're quick enough. B&H has been taking a lot of purchases from Amazon because of this.