Am I making a mistake trying to standardize on LGA-4189 (supermicro x12dpi-nt6) ? Is it too old or too new ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bford

Apr 29, 2021
Spent a TON of time and energy researching and spec'ing ... and we decided that the perfect motherboard to roll out for the next few years would be:

supermicro x12dpi-nt6 (3rd gen xeon - Dual Socket LGA-4189)

... but it's impossible to find. Some places *say* they have it but they are just hoping to drop ship it from Supermicro and they cancel the order after a few days when they realize it's impossible. There is *one* on ebay from Germany.

Is this an old motherboard that is just no longer around in the channel ? Or is this a new motherboard that is still starting to fill up the channel and I just need to wait ?

There *is* a variant - X12DPi-N6 - that is available but onboard LAN is 1gb, not 10gb ... not sure why they even bother with that in 2021 ...

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's new and current. Released under a year ago. I'm sure you've heard of manufacturing shortages for all kinds of electronics. This is likely impacted as well.

Alex0220

Feb 13, 2021
Some shops here in Germany list it at around 1000 euros which is way too much. Sometimes it is better to buy a whole system than buying a single motherboard. Supermicro offers a few 2U systems for this particular board.

bford

Apr 29, 2021
OK thank you - that is very helpful. I was afraid I was buying some older model that was discontinued and it would only get harder to source ... but it sounds like things will get easier and better as time goes by.

Now if only I could find even one single LSI 9400-8i8e available, anywhere ...

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
There *is* a variant - X12DPi-N6 - that is available but onboard LAN is 1gb, not 10gb ... not sure why they even bother with that in 2021 ...
If your infrastructure is fiber based and not 10G-BASET then onboard 10G is just a waste of $100.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
We have been buying our Supermicro gear from CTT (www.ctt.de) for several years now. They also don't have that board in stock, but you might just want to give them a call. They have always been very helpful to us and very straightforward when it comes to availability and shipping times. If that board isn't available anytime soon in germany/EU they will just tell you and as they are a direct Supermicro EU partner/reseller, this information holds for _all_ sellers in DE/EU, no matter what they might tell you or show in their online shops.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
It's new, and powerful enough to win a lot of up hill battles agains 64 cores, due to my tests. One of us got a next gen Sapphire Rapids CRB for testing, the CPU perf is about only 10% better than Icelake per core*frequency, and the frequency is generally lower from the specs we see(but with 60 cores max).

The motherboard shortage is real, there was the lockdown, and even said to be an uprising in Vietnam. Many vendors took a hit, Gigabyte boards' price is skyhigh and Asrockrack boards are almost non-existent here. Most people are getting N6 now, it's basically the only thing we can buy with a reasonable price. Since X540 and X550 are not expensive, we can find a workaround.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
It's new, and powerful enough to win a lot of up hill battles agains 64 cores, due to my tests. One of us got a next gen Sapphire Rapids CRB for testing, the CPU perf is about only 10% better than Icelake per core*frequency, and the frequency is generally lower from the specs we see(but with 60 cores max).

The motherboard shortage is real, there was the lockdown, and even said to be an uprising in Vietnam. Many vendors took a hit, Gigabyte boards' price is skyhigh and Asrockrack boards are almost non-existent here. Most people are getting N6 now, it's basically the only thing we can buy with a reasonable price. Since X540 and X550 are not expensive, we can find a workaround.
which os are you testing the SR on?

tjsgifan

Nov 20, 2015
Spent a TON of time and energy researching and spec'ing ... and we decided that the perfect motherboard to roll out for the next few years would be:

supermicro x12dpi-nt6 (3rd gen xeon - Dual Socket LGA-4189)

... but it's impossible to find. Some places *say* they have it but they are just hoping to drop ship it from Supermicro and they cancel the order after a few days when they realize it's impossible. There is *one* on ebay from Germany.

Is this an old motherboard that is just no longer around in the channel ? Or is this a new motherboard that is still starting to fill up the channel and I just need to wait ?

Good board but in short supply. I've had some on back order since January with Supermicro and apparently the news is now that Supermicro are putting all complete server builds as priority over any component orders. They have a reduced supply of components available across the range as do many other supplier's at the moment (12 month lead time on some lines is unfortunately not uncommon at the moment). Depending on your location I would recommend putting what you need on order now with a local supplier. As has been mentioned before a lot of resellers (myself included) are pretty helpful guys if people would just pick up the phone or email rather than rely on website ;)

I did have some MBD-X12DPL-NT6 arrive recently which were ordered in January, so you might want to look at those specs - they may be easier to get?