Am I crippling my dual E5-2679 setup with only two dimms of ram

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nakean

May 8, 2016
Hello all my first post so play nice,

I was fortunate to get my hands on a couple of ES Dual Xeon e5 2697 v3 cpus. I was given two dimms of 32gb ram and have them in the first slot for each CPU.

I know Adobe products aren't known for the scalability when it comes to cores over 6-8 but was expected more gains coming from my aging i7-920 @ 3.2ghz

With 4k multicam video being my most processor intensive work am I missing out on not filling each dimm? I've heard of people building these monsters of machines as I have with debilitating bottlenecks and want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this rig. Would I see any difference in performance? I'm running a gtx760 and OS is on a SSD with Media on a PCI-E 1tb SSD

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Hello all my first post so play nice,

I was fortunate to get my hands on a couple of ES Dual Xeon E5-2679 v3 cpus. I was given two dimms of 32gb ram and have them in the first slot for each CPU.

I know Adobe products aren't known for the scalability when it comes to cores over 6-8 but was expected more gains coming from my aging i7-920 @ 3.2ghz

With 4k multicam video being my most processor intensive work am I missing out on not filling each dimm? I've heard of people building these monsters of machines as I have with debilitating bottlenecks and want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this rig. Would I see any difference in performance? I'm running a gtx760 and OS is on a SSD with Media on a PCI-E 1tb SSD

Thanks in advance!
Are you crippling performance by using only one DIMM per CPU? Yes. Move up to 4 DIMMS per CPU (8 DIMMs total) and you'll have 4x more memory bandwidth.

But even then it's hopeless. The second CPU is wasted on Photoshop, along with half of the first CPU for most functions. Adobe Photoshop CC Multi Core Performance

And Xeon E5-2679 v3? Intel Ark has never heard of it.

Nakean

May 8, 2016
Sorry meant e5 2697 v3. Thanks for your response. I'm not worried about performance for photoshop as I think I was getting full usage with the older i7 and 24gig of ram. I'm more worried about 4k multicam video in Premiere.

Nakean

May 8, 2016
your setup is certainly overkill cpu count wise
Adobe Premiere Pro CC Multi Core Performance
Given your workload I would have picked something from these 4 chips and spent the cost of the second cpu on additional memory
ARK | Compare Intel® Products
a 16xx chip is limited to single socket and a 26xx chip would allow you to add a second in the future if needed

Again, these cpu's were given to me. I would have gone with a 5820k or 5930k cpu had I purchased it myself. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to spend my money moving forward to get the most out of the machine I have.

Would you recommend going through the hasttle of selling this setup and purchasing building another computer?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'm not sure you'd notice enough difference, you'd save on your power bill but the big upgrade I would look for is moving to dual channel memory at minimum(quad is better in theory but i've never actually noticed an impact in the real world)
the other thing that will give you a substantial boost assuming your plugins/filters support is is moving to a bigger gpu, not that the 760 is a bad chip but something with a larger memory buffer(the 760 was available in both 2 and 4gb models) will help with working with 4k assuming your workload can be accelerated using CUDA(really determined by the plugins you use)

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Sorry meant e5 2697 v3. Thanks for your response. I'm not worried about performance for photoshop as I think I was getting full usage with the older i7 and 24gig of ram. I'm more worried about 4k multicam video in Premiere.
Then how about a visit to eBay for 8x8GB ECC DIMMs. <$100 for the slower ECC 1333 stuff. Sell the 32GB sticks and your net cost is less than zero. Faster memory would be, well, a bit faster, but on a budget this is the lowest cost way to start using all of that CPU power.

Nakean

May 8, 2016
I'm not sure you'd notice enough difference, you'd save on your power bill but the big upgrade I would look for is moving to dual channel memory at minimum(quad is better in theory but i've never actually noticed an impact in the real world)
the other thing that will give you a substantial boost assuming your plugins/filters support is is moving to a bigger gpu, not that the 760 is a bad chip but something with a larger memory buffer(the 760 was available in both 2 and 4gb models) will help with working with 4k assuming your workload can be accelerated using CUDA(really determined by the plugins you use)
Thanks Deslok! I don't use a lot of plugins but I use the lumetri color which I think uses CUDA and I'm sure the next iteration of Premiere will make better use of both more cores and Cuda acceleration. I think ram is the first stop. Thanks!

Then how about a visit to eBay for 8x8GB ECC DIMMs. <$100 for the slower ECC 1333 stuff. Sell the 32GB sticks and your net cost is less than zero. Faster memory would be, well, a bit faster, but on a budget this is the lowest cost way to start using all of that CPU power.
Thanks DBA. I'm totally on board with the 8x8gb dimms! Especially if in the end it won't cost anything!

Thanks for all the help you guys!