All memory sticks showing up with half capacity: Epyc 7443P + Asrock Rack ROMED4ID-2T:

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vaperovi

Mar 8, 2022
I am dealing with a very weird situation:

I put in a new Epyc 7443P CPU into a new Asrock Rack mini ITX motherboard.
Board is running BIOS 3.00 and BMC 01.00.00, the only ones available on Asrock rack website.
I have populated all 4 slots with the Micron 64 GB MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1VI memory, which is on Asrocks Memory QLV list (Picture of the memory module attached).

I found out that one of the sticks is dead (hence one slot appears empty). While troubleshooting it, I realized that all of the memory sticks are showing up as 32GB ?!?

I tried re-seating them couple of times, and as expected, it didnt help.

How do I explain and troubleshootthis?
How is it possible that all 3 sticks show up, but only with half capacity?
Is it some motherboard option I need to enable?
Is there a chance someone swapped stickers and these are actually some random 32GB dimms?
How can i verify the RAM model number from bios or IPMI interface? Asrock's IPMI is pretty bad as usual, the inventory doesnt show anything, its totally empty

Attachments

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Definitely try re-seating the CPU before you try anything else. And maybe update the bios to the latest version.
The memory modules you have seem to be on the QVL for this board. So after re-seating the CPU, you could try and see what happens when you use only 1 DIMM. Maybe there is some weird interleaving problem with the particular memory population you have.

As for the DIMMs themselves: you can try to read the print on the ICs, count the number of memory ICs on a DIMM, and look up the capacity of each IC... but let's leave that for later. I have seen a fake capacity memory module once before, but that was bargain-bin laptop memory from a noname brand and a questionable vendor.

Last edited:

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I've never had the bug that DIMMS are recognised, but only half capacity, before...

Maybe a BIOS bug?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How can i verify the RAM model number from bios or IPMI interface? Asrock's IPMI is pretty bad as usual, the inventory doesnt show anything, its totally empty
check the IPMI LOG area. the inventory is buggy in most ASRock FW, you can ask for a Beta.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
check the IPMI LOG area. the inventory is buggy in most ASRock FW, you can ask for a Beta.
Asrock's inventory is buggy in the IPMI interface, but that shouldnt affect the BIOS reporting.

I suspect that the OP might have been scammed on the memory sticks, maybe a label swap to pass off 32GB sticks as 64GB?

@vaporovi, have you tried these sticks in another system to confirm they are actually 64GB sticks? maybe even try to get a read of the model number of the modules themselves and count them up to confirm?