All in one build - where to store Nexenta VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Raffles

Jan 9, 2013
UK
Hi,

Been reading this site for a while and playing with Nexenta (very impressive) on a HP Microserver. While I'll continue to use them for experimenting I want to put together something to replace my ageing socket 478 based server that handles my domain and storage.

I've recently acquired a Proliant ML110 (latest gen) with a Xeon for a reasonable price. What I propose is to install 4x 1GB disks in the 'hot-swap' bays and boot the system with ESXi from an SD card (slot on motherboard). I then run Nexenta in a VM and pass-thru the 4 drives. This will then provide storage (with all that ZFS goodness) to my main virtual server (the existing one P to V'ed). I can spark up other VM's as required on that host.

So obviously the Nexenta VM can't run from the main 4 drive array so I was thinking of using a basic 2 or 4 port SATA card to handle a couple of small disks (the 2 remaining SATA ports are spoken for). Maybe in RAID 1 for a bit of resilience. Any suggestions? Are the commonplace Silicon Image cards any good for this purpose?

The other thing I'm unsure of is ZIL/L2ARC possible/worthwhile with Nexenta in a VM? How would it be setup?

Thanks,

Paul

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
If you pass through the SATA controllers to the VM, only that VM will have access to all the ports on the SATA controller, no other VMs will be able to access it.
As for the other controllers, did the system come with an HBA card or RAID controller?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Similar to my thoughts. Do you have a spec sheet handy?

Also congrats on your first post!

Raffles

Jan 9, 2013
UK
If you pass through the SATA controllers to the VM, only that VM will have access to all the ports on the SATA controller, no other VMs will be able to access it.
Unless I've misunderstood the concept the Nexenta VM will present the storage out to the other VM's (so long as its started before the others).

As for the other controllers, did the system come with an HBA card or RAID controller?
Smart Array B110i built-in to motherboard:-
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14012_div/14012_div.HTML

P.