All flash Infiniband VMware vSAN evaluation: Part 3 In use

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Perhaps I missed it, but was there any information on the amount of traffic being passed back and forth over the network?

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
During my testing, the peek network throughput was about 360 mbps. So even Gb network should able to handle that. But VMware's official recommendation was 10 GB network for all flahs vSAN, that's why I did not put that in the posting.

Reactions: Morgan Simmons

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Thanks for the awesome series Mark! This has me seriously re-considering my setup at home.

Right now I have a two node ESX setup running off a 1TB RAID1 iSCSI lun on my Synology. I am thinking I could create a third node and pull my 1TB SSDs out of the Syno, freeing up some slots for larger HDDs.

Any chance of a 4th article where you replace the vSAN network with 1Gig Ethernet and retest?

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Speeds and feeds are starting to become a non issue with many platforms based on customer needs....let's start testing resiliency, reacting to failure, availability, integration, features, etc. That's more important these days to businesses.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Creating 40 VMs can push the replication traffic. If the max throughput I saw was less than half of the Gb throughput then 1 Gb network should be fine. To be safe you may want to use teaming on the vSAN traffic interface.
Thanks for the awesome series Mark! This has me seriously re-considering my setup at home.

Right now I have a two node ESX setup running off a 1TB RAID1 iSCSI lun on my Synology. I am thinking I could create a third node and pull my 1TB SSDs out of the Syno, freeing up some slots for larger HDDs.

Any chance of a 4th article where you replace the vSAN network with 1Gig Ethernet and retest?

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
VMware vSAN is one of the easiest hyperconvergence solution to get started. Plus with the witness virtual appliance, all I need is 2 physical nodes for the lab. ScaleIO is a great solution but looks I like need to get more gears first :)

Thanks for the series!

If you ever feel like doing a scaleio comparison, please do :D

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
I can not agree more. Hyperconvergence solutions still in the early stage, there are quite a few vendors out there making great solutions. One thing we know about VMware is their persistence. We have seen the revolution on the VDI/SBC side. Citrix use to be the only player in that market and VMware has more than half the market share at the moment. It will be a matter of time before they put more investment into the vSAN solution. And if they do add vSAN as part of vSphere standard edition, then it will surely push lots of vendors out of the market...

Speeds and feeds are starting to become a non issue with many platforms based on customer needs....let's start testing resiliency, reacting to failure, availability, integration, features, etc. That's more important these days to businesses.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
One thing I am curious about is HA of the VMs when using a 2-node VSAN. Dont have to disable vSphereHA to enable VSAN on a 2-node cluster?