AliExpress SAS3 SFF-8644\SFF-8643 cards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Anyone any experience of these (for building out JBODs), or a better source for an "affordable" option? I've used a StarTech one before, but I need at least a couple and they're about £100/each vs £17.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
do you have any link for the ones you specify?
this sounds suspiciously like sata controllers with sff connectors instead of sata connectors.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Thankfully not what I'm meaning, although I can understand the confusion. I'm talking about passive internal\external converter boards, so (hopefully) the only requirement is that whoever laid it out has done their homework on signal paths. Since this is 12G SAS3, and the same boards seem to be variously sold as 3G\6G\12G SAS, I'm somewhat suspicious - although it could just be that the signalling was fine so they just updated the silkscreen!

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
ah, now i see what you mean.
unfortunately i have zero experience with these.
i dont see why they wouldnt work though.
they contain zero electronics.
its basically just a pcb with 2 different connector types on each side.
not much that cant work there unless they wired it wrong :)

Chriggel

Mar 30, 2024
I've used such converters many years ago during SFF-8087/8088 times. The main problem I found was that they encourage people to use very long connections. This becomes a problem very soon, especially when running SATA signals through them, which you totally could. As logn as you stay within the specs of SATA/SAS, you should be fine if you have no other option (like HBAs with external ports and JBOD enclosures that are already equipped with appropriate connectiors).

nexox

May 3, 2023
I have a lowe price one from 10GTek, it seems like it's made well, but I have so far only used it for a few minutes because I don't have that system and the disk shelf placed close enough to each other yet.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The new old stock Supermicro ones are under $10 shipped in the US.

Reactions: nexox

psc

Jun 30, 2019
The new old stock Supermicro ones are under $10 shipped in the US.
Is that AOM-SAS3-8I8E-LP? Seem to be ~£50 here in the UK, which is a shame.

I have a lowe price one from 10GTek, it seems like it's made well, but I have so far only used it for a few minutes because I don't have that system and the disk shelf placed close enough to each other yet.
Thanks, but can't seem to find those in the UK.

I've used such converters many years ago during SFF-8087/8088 times. The main problem I found was that they encourage people to use very long connections.
Yeah, I know from my existing pair of 846's it's a pain you can't use longer cables; almost but not quite long enough to pull fully forward on the rails! At the moment I've got an Areca 1883-16ix, but I've got a problem with the array (again) and I'm seriously considering going HBA and ZFS or Ext4\mdRAID6. I'll need both internal and external ports, though, since I'll be spanning multiple chassis. I could go with 2 adapters (int + ext), but since I don't need it for throughput that just seems a bit wiffy. I'd still need adapters in the JBOD chassis to run to the backplanes.