AIC RSC-4BT 4U 36 Bay Barebone Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lastb0isct

Feb 12, 2018
  1. There appears to be two UART cables (and includes a headphone jack to DB9 (I assume RS-232 but haven't checked) mounted to the bottom most PCIE expansion. Anyone know if there's a standard way to use this? Unclear if there's a MCU on these backplanes or if it's for firmware update?
Did you ever figure out what these were for?! Just got my system and am extremely happy with it. Very well constructed and SUPER quiet compared to my old ISILON NL400 that I was using.

Highly recommend this for anyone in the market for it.

boolsy

Jul 25, 2023
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these, seller accepted offer of $415 shipped. Will report back when it arrives, seems like a good addition/upgrade from my CSE847 (6Gbs).

2bluesc

Dec 24, 2017
Did you ever figure out what these were for?! Just got my system and am extremely happy with it. Very well constructed and SUPER quiet compared to my old ISILON NL400 that I was using.

Highly recommend this for anyone in the market for it.
These are for connecting to the SAS back planes. They run at 38400 8N1. You can also use the SAS SES commands to do most things.

lastb0isct

Feb 12, 2018
I have a X10DRH-CT in my system but when connecting to the AVAGO 3108 onboard a ton of the drives list as "blocked" within the MegaRAID BIOS screen. Going into the config tool I'm not able to see a way to unblock these drives (I have the controller configured as JBOD to pass through the drives for ZFS). Has anyone run into this before? Do you know how to resolve this?

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
These are for connecting to the SAS back planes. They run at 38400 8N1. You can also use the SAS SES commands to do most things.
Seems a bit slow, even for hard drives. Wouldn't a native SAS connection be better?

2bluesc

Dec 24, 2017
Seems a bit slow, even for hard drives. Wouldn't a native SAS connection be better?
It's fantastically slow compared to SAS. SAS is 12Gb/s, the UART is 38.4kb/s. This interface is used for advanced controls and firmware updates only. There's no way to access the hard drives over the UART interface.

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
It's fantastically slow compared to SAS. SAS is 12Gb/s, the UART is 38.4kb/s. This interface is used for advanced controls and firmware updates only. There's no way to access the hard drives over the UART interface.
Are you sure? K comes after G in the alphabet, so I always assumed kb was better than gb.

Last edited:

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
they're basically serial connection to manage the backplanes themselves, nothing to do with the disks that get attached.

Reactions: lastb0isct