Advice on 10-15 meter (32-50 ft.) long 10GbE SFP+ cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Hi, i have a desktop and server connected with Solarflare SFN7022F cards, point to point, no switch, using standard copper DAC cables (Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M)

I need to move the desktop further away, and need 15 meter cables, but i have no experience. I'm assuming i'm going to need optical cables for this length?

Would something like this do?

10G SFP+ to SFP+ AOC 10GBASE Active Optical Cable 1~20M For Cisco/Ubiquiti... | eBay

Any tips on where to get them cheapest in europe?

Thanks for any advice

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
That cable should work fine. I'm in the USA, so I don't know who the best vendor would be for something like that in Europe. Amazon and Ebay are a good option here at least, may be good for you as well.

Reactions: heromode

heromode

May 25, 2020
That cable should work fine. I'm in the USA, so I don't know who the best vendor would be for something like that in Europe. Amazon and Ebay are a good option here at least, may be good for you as well.
Thanks. Just knowing a generic one like this will most likely work is good info. If i end up ordering from china there is no way to return it so..

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
If you are buying an AOC cable, you might as well buy transceivers plus a matching fiber cables so that you can use different length cables in the future. The cost should be about the same if you buy from brands like 10Gtek (sometimes sold under the Ipolex brand), QSFPTEK, etc.

heromode

May 25, 2020
If you are buying an AOC cable, you might as well buy transceivers plus a matching fiber cables so that you can use different length cables in the future. The cost should be about the same if you buy from brands like 10Gtek (sometimes sold under the Ipolex brand), QSFPTEK, etc.
I'm having a hard time looking for that on german ebay.. what would be the correct search terms for just the fiber cable?

edit: OS2/OM3/OM4 LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable Duplex Singlemode/Multimode ?

OS2/OM3/OM4 LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable Duplex Singlemode/Multimode 0.5~100 meter | eBay

That table is wonderfully complex lol

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I'm having a hard time looking for that on german ebay.. what would be the correct search terms for just the fiber cable?

edit: OS2/OM3/OM4 LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable Duplex Singlemode/Multimode ?

OS2/OM3/OM4 LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable Duplex Singlemode/Multimode 0.5~100 meter | eBay

That table is wonderfully complex lol
If you're going for 10 Gbit/s, you're fine with 10GBASE-SR transceivers and multi-mode OM3 or OM4 cables.

Two different listings for the transceivers on Amazon.de:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B01LXHQZM3/ (note the 20% voucher)

Cable:

I own a couple of those transceivers and they work fine.

Alternatively, if you want to future proof your cable run, you can also go for 10GBASE-LR transceivers with single-mode OS2 cables. It can often be a bit more expensive, but the price looks more similar than the last time I checked. :)

Reactions: nexox and heromode

heromode

May 25, 2020
If you're going for 10 Gbit/s, you're fine with 10GBASE-SR transceivers and multi-mode OM3 or OM4 cables.

Two different listings for the transceivers on Amazon.de:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B01LXHQZM3/ (note the 20% voucher)

Cable:

I own a couple of those transceivers and they work fine.

Alternatively, if you want to future proof your cable run, you can also go for 10GBASE-LR transceivers with single-mode OS2 cables. It can often be a bit more expensive, but the price looks more similar than the last time I checked. :)

wonderful info, can't thank you enough. It's bedtime here but tomorrow i'll study it all.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
TBH I wouldn't bother buying new transceivers of unknown brand/origin on amazon or ebay. I also have a collection of such transceivers somewhere in a drawer at home, but as they tend to be somewhat picky with one vendor or another (usually intel NICs) I replaced them all with something I *know* works and doesn't let a 'quick upgrade' in the evening become a night-long troubleshooting session...
So I'd just go with FS.com - they deliver really fast, are cheap, have a proper 'no BS'-warranty and their transceivers 'just work'™
At work we use them everywhere in intel or Mellanox NICs as well as cisco switches and never had any issues.
I once had a transceiver that died maybe due to overheating (passively cooled appliance...) and received a replacement the next day without them asking any further questions.

They also have amazingly good and fast support, so if you are unsure on what kind of cabling you might need or what you should use in a new deployment, they are always helpful in recommending some options.

(no, I'm not in any way affiliated to FS, just a very statisfied customer for 10+ years)

If you use cisco switches you can set the (undocumented) no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid and service unsupported-transceiver options, so you only have to order the transceivers for the NICs you use; the switches will take them regardless if they were programmed for e.g. intel or mellanox.

If this is just a local cabling (i.e. home network) that will never need to e.g. expand to multiple buildings, I'd just go for the cheapest option: multimode transceivers and OM3/4 cabling.
If you also have cabling that runs over more than 100m and has to scale up to or beyond 100Gbit one day, I'd go for singlemode cabling on those longer runs or those that are hard/tedious to replace later. You can then use the 'dual mode' 1310nm transceivers for 10Gbit that can be used with multi- and singlemode (https://www.fs.com/products/11556.html).
This way you can use multimode cabling at the rack and singlemode for anything that leaves the rack/building but still use the same transceivers for both. I discovered those "dual mode" transceviers way too late, but am using them anywhere now and it made life SO much easier.
For >10Gbit within the rack just stay with multimode as the transceivers are (a lot) cheaper; only for the long runs one has to go for the more expensive singlemode transceivers. FS also has those "dual mode" transceivers for >10Gbit, so depending on use case this could be an option too. I have all the >10Gbit links only within the rack - everything that leaves the rack is just distribution network that won't need higher than 10Gbit links for quite a while, so I just used normal MM transceivers for >10Gbit.