Advice needed: Lab optimization

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
Hi,
I've had a small single-node ESXi lab that has served me decently for the past 7 years, but I've increasingly felt the need for more capacity. So, I'm expanding, but I'd really appreciate a bit of advice on how to make the best use of my (admittedly still small) resources:
The original box is based on a SuperMicro X9SPV-LN4F-3QE, so 4 core i7, and 12 GB of RAM.
I now got my hands on a E200-8D, so 6 core Xeon D-1528 and 32 GB of RAM
In addition, I have a LSI 9200-8e which will connect to a shelf of 16 drives.

If you had to make do with this, how would you use it? I'm aware that most solutions will be sub-optimal in many ways, and not near production grade. But I hope to figure out something which is better than what I have :)

After some great help in another thread, I'm considering abandoning ESXi since the centralized management with vCenter would be much too resource intensive (and I don't really need most of the features it gives). Is Proxmox my best choice here?

The main duties for the setup, apart from network infrastructure stuff (FW/DNS/etc), will be doing file share/backup, and development, so nothing too heavy.

I can probably do some upgrades to the two nodes over time (eg going to 16 GB on the old node, and the E200 can take up to 128 GB($$$)), but I'm physically limited to 6U:s of 250 mm depth. So no more nodes...

Let me know if I can clarify anything to make it easier to give advice!

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ESXi or ProxMox is a personal decision.
I prefer ESXi due the smaller footprint, the better support for any guests and it gives full independence between VM server and ZFS storage server, even for a virtualized dualhead ZFS storage cluster.

VCenter is totally overkill for a single ESXi server. You may want it with a farm of a dozen ESXi servers. For a single server you simply use local management via your webbrowser. For storage a dedicated or virtualized ZFS appliance is the best solution.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
Sorry if it wasn't clear, one of the changes is that I'm bringing in a second node (the E200-8D, but still keeping the old one). That was why I started looking as vCenter, initially.
What I'm currently missing from ESXi is machine templates (requires vCenter) or something cloud-init-like (not supported at all by VMware, as far as I can tell). So from that perspective Proxmox looks attractive. I do agree with you that ESXi has both nice compatibility and low footprint, but the lack of automation capabilities is sad.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
And to give some examples of setup-alternatives I see:

1)
E200-8D+LSI/Disk array: ESXi/Proxmox+Storage-VM
X9SPV: ESXi/Proxmox
2)
E200-8D: ESXi/Proxmox
X9SPV+LSI/Disk array: Storage on bare metal
3)
E200-8D: Proxmox w/ native ZFS storage
X9SPV+LSI/Disk array: Proxmox

So far I understand the suggestion to be 1), correct?