[advice] homeserver / lab with plex

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
@gigatexal
Not going that route.
Just looked and i need min. 64gig memory, but limits me to 32 on each right (they dont share?)

Might need to source some used, because new is 235 euro pr 16 gig....
not sure what you mean. if you go with Gea's linked board you could get 64GB with 4 16GB ddr4 modules.

As for SSDs you could have 6 Sata spindles on the SAS controller and the same controller two SSDs in raid1 for the VMs. Just get some big SSDs, they're cheap now something like < 30Cents a gig.

ChrHansen

Nov 22, 2015
@gigatexal
I was unclear, got pretty hooked on the board you showed me - if i can get at the price i saw plus the 2 x 2670 - I will be a happy wannabe nerd.

So found a few shops I need to call tomorrow, if that works out, I can order that right away.

The reason it needing to work out, is that I am in Europe and it only makes sense to but from an EU market.

Thank you again, will post an update tomorrow.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
oh rad, makes sense. Nothing is ever really gained rushing anything. Start a new thread, or search the forums for recommended 2P motherboards, there are a good amount of non-US members that might chime in.

The price of the 2670s is just crazy now-days

ChrHansen

Nov 22, 2015
I know and it breaks my heart to be in a rush - but since it is a company buy (have a small company myself besides my job) and if i don't do it by december 31 st - I will loose a lot of benefits, since I will be personally taxable of the profits :) (Denmark over 50% tax).

In short if i buy now, I will not need to pay tax of the funds and get VAT returned.

Reactions: T_Minus