Adding SAS Expander in the future

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
Scenario: I build a server with all disk attached directly to raid controller (either a discrete card or an integrate raid solution like on the SM X8ST3-F). Everything is happy.

months later I decide that I need more storage that'll outgrow the number of ports available on the raid controller. i obviously may need to migrate everything into a bigger chassis,but that is just labeling cables and being careful. can i safely at this point purchase an HP SAS Expander that attaches to the raid controller and attach all the original disks and the new ones to the expander?

in other words, can a SAS expander be added inline after the array are built with no risks? or is it necessary/safer to just plan ahead and add the SAS Expander to my shopping list now and not get to spread out some hardware costs.

Jeremy

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
You can do it later, assuming you have a compatible RAID card/HBA.

Just make sure you plug your disk back in the Expander in the original order.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
compatibility, check.

about the ordering: if the original setup is an integrated/discrete raid card with two SFF-8087 which are each connected to the backplane of a norco RPC-4220. the cable in port 1 of the raid card goes to port #2 (where the external is #1) on the HP SAS Expander and the cable in port 2 of the raid card goes to port#3 of the expander. then i connect expander port #9 to raid card port 1.

something along those lines? i can draw a picture of what i'm thinking if the above is confusing. language sometimes gets in the way of communication, which is funny if you think about it.