Adapters for Getting maximum speeds from U.3 drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
So I recently got two intel D7 5600 1.6tb u.3 drives and installed them onto this adapter and set them up in btrfs raid 0

PCIe 3.0 to (2) U.2 SFF-8639... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WR1ZZVQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I did some quick benching with fio and I don't seem to be getting the rated speeds. I'm not sure if this is due to the adapter being listed as u.2 compatible or what. Any ideas?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I tried cards and ended up going M2 oculink for full speeds. U.2 adapters work with both 2/3 drives but U3 adapters only with 3 drives. As for connectivity oculink right now is the fastest and able to hit speeds on Gen 4 level.

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
I'm looking for the best and most affordable 2*u.3 solution.

For oculink I would have to do pcie to oculink and then ? cable to drives?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
M2+cable per drive is about $40

PCIE card for dual drives $40 plus cables

There's an x16 card though with two cable ports you could get for four drives using split cables off each port.

Depends on what slots and sockets you have open and future expansion.

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
M2+cable per drive is about $40

PCIE card for dual drives $40 plus cables

There's an x16 card though with two cable ports you could get for four drives using split cables off each port.

Depends on what slots and sockets you have open and future expansion.
I have pcie 4.0*16 physical but its *8 lanes pcie. I'm only going to be using the two drives and don't need expansion capability. Is there a certain pcie card you'd recommend?

Last edited:

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Any of these options are just passive adapters. It'd be useful if you could share what speeds you're getting--it's possible that the problem is that the drives are just connecting over PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0 (in that case the drives will hit a bit less than 4 GB/s). If that's the case it might be possible to force the slot to run at PCIe 4.0 in the BIOS, but I'd test the snot out of it. If that doesn't work, it might be that the 10Gtek adapter isn't designed well enough to push 4.0 speeds successfully and you'l want to pick something else.

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
Any of these options are just passive adapters. It'd be useful if you could share what speeds you're getting--it's possible that the problem is that the drives are just connecting over PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0 (in that case the drives will hit a bit less than 4 GB/s). If that's the case it might be possible to force the slot to run at PCIe 4.0 in the BIOS, but I'd test the snot out of it. If that doesn't work, it might be that the 10Gtek adapter isn't designed well enough to push 4.0 speeds successfully and you'l want to pick something else.
What tests should I run? I know nothing about storage benchmarking I just followed this link to get an idea:How fast are your disks? Find out the open source way, with fio

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
I'll see if I can select pcie 4.0/3.0 in bios and report back when I have a chance to reboot.