ACL assistance for local unix user in a domain environment

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I'm running OmniOS with Gea's Napp-it but do not have an ACL gui license. My server is domain joined so the majority of my permissions are set from a Windows computer.

I just installed the Owncloud 9 package on my OmniOS installation and it runs under Apache's www user.
I'd like to change Owncloud's data directory from the rpool to one of my other pools subdirectories.

How would I add full read/write/modify permissions for the user "www" to my pool "volume1" subdirectory "storage/owncloud" without screwing up my windows ACLs? Obviously I cannot just do a simple:
"chgrp www /volume1/storage/owncloud && chmod 775 /volume1/storage/owncloud" or can I?

Thanks for any assistance!
Cheers,
M

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
I have never done this with Napp-it. I just learned about that software after reading your post. How much is the ACL extension? I don't like paying tons of cash but for a project like that it might be only a few bucks and worth it to save time in the future.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I have to give a hand to Gea as Napp-IT makes quick and simple work of managing OmniOS. I had thought about FreeNAS at first but Solaris/Omni/Illumos have far better SAMBA/CIFS, Active Directory, iSCSI, and NFS integration than FreeNAS and significantly lower resource requirements.

The issue, for me at least, is that I'm a linux admin (with some BSD experience) and solaris differs considerably in some management areas so Napp-it is a god-send.

Regarding Napp-It, after the 30 day trial expires it's still fully functional but you do lose some niceties (but nothing that is required). You can purchase each "plugin" separately I believe but I would do the pro license (all functions) if the Canadian dollar wasn't 1/2 of the Euro (which is what Napp-it is purchased in)

My only complaint with Napp-it would be the interface is a little 90's looking and could use an overhaul but FreeNAS isn't much better :)

zos

Oct 27, 2013
(...)
How would I add full read/write/modify permissions for the user "www" to my pool "volume1" subdirectory "storage/owncloud" without screwing up my windows ACLs? Obviously I cannot just do a simple:
"chgrp www /volume1/storage/owncloud && chmod 775 /volume1/storage/owncloud" or can I?
(...)
M
The following command adds an ACL-entry with full read / write / modify permissions without touching existing entries for user www:

/usr/bin/chmod A+user:www:list_directory/read_data/add_subdirectory/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute/read_attributes/write_attributes/read_acl/synchronize:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow /volume1/storage/owncloud

Reactions: manxam