accessing local drives on my XP vm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

loady

Aug 7, 2017
Hi,

I have a task to perform that requires an XP machine so i have setup with hyper v an xp VM. At some point i will need to be able to connect a development board to the usb on host and be able to access it in the VM but that is another task for later, for now i need to be able to get files from the host hdd onto the VM disk drive and this is where i am having trouble understanding what i need to do, im quite new to VM. I have successfully set up an internet connection on the VM, if someone could explain the steps i need to do what i need i will be grateful.

Thanks.

loady

Aug 7, 2017
i dont think you can from what i have read, i think the VM is running in enhanced mode from viewing the settings but the option is greyed out in view

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Is the host Hyper-V on windows 10? I am able to copy files to and from via clipboard. But in my case the guest is also a Windows 10 machine.

Alternative would be to create a file share in the host or the guest and use it exchange files.

loady

Aug 7, 2017
ive tried copy and paste, if i copy a file within host the option to paste within VM guest is greyed out

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Setting up a shared folder would probably be the long term way to go, but for something quick 'n dirty, I would say maybe use a remote desktop session to quickly share a Disk/ USB etc :)

loady

Aug 7, 2017
I did just that, its been a long since I used xp and had a trying time trying to find where file and printer sharing was located.

My final obstacle is now to be able to use the hosts USB ports, I need to be able to plug in a USB programmer and use it in the xp environment..I have done some reading up on it and the easiest way to do this is by using USB over IP with with some software ?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Which programmer? If you don't mind my asking? The reason I'm asking, is that most intelligent pin programmers, from yesteryear like Xeltek, Dataman etc, generally used Ftdi or Cypress USB controllers inside, with proprietory vid/pid strings programmed into them. They often only shipped and supported XP with drivers. There are various workarounds for a lot of them on the web that would allow you to use your programmer on later windows versions without all the faffing about :)

I am a lucky unsupported Xeltek owner, hence my response, but I did manage to find a fix for mine (Cypress chipset) maybe you will be lucky too :)

loady

Aug 7, 2017
Mine is a cypress CY7C68013A-56 EZ-USB FX2LP USB2.0 Development Board Module Logic Analyzer EEPROM. I am trying to flash a boot loader to a Linux receiver that got a bad flash, basically i need to jtag it, im using broadcom broadband studio to do the job and the drivers the board needs come embedded in it (although i have tried it with them installed), basically what i have read, people doing this have not managed to get it to work with anything other than win xp, the bbs3 software just wont connect, i also have a GQ 4X true usb programmer that I used to use to flash SOIC , NANDS etc, but been a long time since I used it plus i would need to desolder the chip (after finding it), something else i have not done in a long while, and see also if i have the correct socket for the programmer, i dont really want to go down the road of desoldering the like of TSOP48 chips :( but would get the job done.

If you want a detailed read on my plight I hope it is ok to post a link to this forum, it has no content that has any similarity to content on here but if it does get deleted i can PM it to you if interested.

EDIT: i have located the winbond chip and could easily remove and reprogram it if it is erasable, or i can just buy some blanks and do it myself

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I don't have any experience with those little jtagger boards I'm afraid, but they will most likely use the same cyusb.sys driver as most of their other controllers do. There are 64 bit drivers available from Cypress, and a dev kit, but I suspect that you have two issues going on here, i.e both driver and programming software problems.

Here's a couple of links I tripped over relating to your cypress issue: Link1, Link2

The BB3 programming software is another matter altogether, although I have seen folks claim that they are running it on win8.1, so I guess in theory it should also be able to run on win10. Again, I have no direct experience of using this software, so can be of little help here.

If the software still refuses to run that way, my recommendation would be to dump your Hyper-V setup and use a VMware product, either VM Server or VM Workstation instead. Those Hypervisors have zero trouble passing through USB devices :)

Good luck with it!

loady

Aug 7, 2017
I don't have any experience with those little jtagger boards I'm afraid, but they will most likely use the same cyusb.sys driver as most of their other controllers do. There are 64 bit drivers available from Cypress, and a dev kit, but I suspect that you have two issues going on here, i.e both driver and programming software problems.

Here's a couple of links I tripped over relating to your cypress issue: Link1, Link2

The BB3 programming software is another matter altogether, although I have seen folks claim that they are running it on win8.1, so I guess in theory it should also be able to run on win10. Again, I have no direct experience of using this software, so can be of little help here.

If the software still refuses to run that way, my recommendation would be to dump your Hyper-V setup and use a VMware product, either VM Server or VM Workstation instead. Those Hypervisors have zero trouble passing through USB devices :)

Good luck with it!
Thank you so much for your help, more than i got from topic relevant forums !!

loady

Aug 7, 2017
For the interim and because it is going to be quicker for me, i have found some old spansion chips that i used to use for ambit modems back in the day, they are spansion S25FL016A and i am thinking i can possibly write the bootloader to this and solder it in, you think it will do the same job, i think its just a different brand chip as they are both serial eeprom i think the sapnsion one though is 16mb.

I have just written the z gemma bootloader to the spansion S25FL016A and it has taken it ok, as i have to desolder the WINBOND chip out of the zgemma i think i might just solder in the spansion and see if it has worked.

I am still going to try to get it to connect vie a VM as i want to be able to provide i guide for anyone else in the same position as i am who do not possess the tools or skills to program chips and solder in.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I guess the bootloader fits in the 16mbit Spansion device then. I wonder if there's something else in there alongside the bootloader, the Winbond device is twice that size. Also, careful when lifting the Winbond device off the board if it's in a WSON package, they are notorious for pulling up track when not evenly heated :)

loady

Aug 7, 2017
I guess the bootloader fits in the 16mbit Spansion device then. I wonder if there's something else in there alongside the bootloader, the Winbond device is twice that size. Also, careful when lifting the Winbond device off the board if it's in a WSON package, they are notorious for pulling up track when not evenly heated :)
I erased it first, unless there's is something that's on there that erasing doesn't touch?....if it was a wson I would have just bought a new box or persevered with VM a little longer lol

loady

Aug 7, 2017
i have written the bootloader to the original chip from box and the one i intended to replace it with, i verified both as well with the same program i used to write them, i thought i would read both chips and save the files and use a comparison tool against the bootloader i wrote to them, the program comes back to say the files are different on both chips