AC-063-2 HP Power Backplane pinouts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tarsman013

Mar 20, 2021
Tampa, FL
3DMusketeers.com
I am at the end of my rope here... I am looking for what I need to bridge/connect on a damn Ac-063-2 power backplane to make the damn PSU's power on. This is on a P4500 G2 / DL180 G6.

There is no pinout of this side of the equation. The front panel has a pinout, but the PDB side does not. I plan on running a Super Micro X9DR3-LN4F+ instead of the old motherboard and would like to put it in a normal computer case for noise reasons, and because I am slapping on some 212evos on the processors. My biggest hurdle is this damn PDB. I have confirmed that the old mobo does get power and passes it through as the fans go 100% upon starting, but nothing I bridge or do turns on those damn PSU's. The cable is the bottom left one in this picture. There is a white wire with a blue dot on it, which I thought went with PWR ON as for the front panel, PWR is a blue wire, but shorting it to ground is a no-go. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. If you are local to Tampa, FL and would like to take a stab at it in person, let me know.

also before anyone says it, yes I did bridge the green and black on the 24pin - no dice. I know HP supplies can be weird with starting up. In it now are 2x DPS-750RB

side note, if anyone knows a proper (CHEAP!) ATX tower that fits this damn EE-ATX motherboard, I would be so appreciative

0157958_hp-proliant-dl180-g5-server-power-supply-750w-ac-063-a-447325-001-454355-001_550[1].jpeg

tarsman013

Mar 20, 2021
Tampa, FL
3DMusketeers.com
for anyone who sees this in the future, I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT! it might be the jankiest way possible, but it is a solution.
To get that SPECIFIC power supply (DPS-750RB) to turn on, you need to bridge pin 33 and 36 (as shown on the PDU) - to most people, this is pin 1 and 4, but I thought it was worth mentioning the actual pins inside the PDU. I took some 18g wire and bridged these 2 pins on the pdu. TEST WITH THE PSU ON ITS OWN BEFORE MODIFYING THE PDU - any size wire can bridge the connections, it is not current carrying.

tested and confirmed WORKING!
HUGE SHOUTOUT to the high voltage community who finds how to turn these damn things on. Also confirmed fan speed control is working so it does not just go full 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: jaltagracia

bernikolas

Oct 22, 2021
Hi there!
I was trying to do almost the same thing.
We decomissioned some HP servers and some HP Storageworks P4500 G2 on my workplace and kept some before sending them away.
I have removed the drive cage from a P4500 along with the back plane and I wanted to connect this to a sas controller on a HP G8.
All good so far, but I needed to power on the cage and the usual green to black bridge on the atx connector was not working...
Thank you for your post. It helped a lot.
The P4500 drive cage is powered on now.
Next is to make sure the onboard controller (or some others I have) can read the 12 disk array.
Thank you again!

Alextt

Aug 17, 2022
Good day!
I stumbled upon your post while looking for a HP DL180 G6 Server power supply launcher. Power backplane AC-063-2 A. Your launch method, for some reason, did not fit. He began to hiccup with the method of "scientific poking". I found that the power supply is triggered by a jumper on the RPS connector (16 pins), between 1 (green) and 14 (brown / white).
Maybe someone will come in handy.

Attachments

MarkSmirnov

Aug 21, 2022
I've fount this article after building my system in 2021. I took DL180 G6 case with Power distribution board/ backplane AC-063-2 A and with native coolers and mounted Supermicro_X9DRD-7LN4F motherboard (it has sufficient number of PCIe slots). I was fortunate - somebody already connected a jumper on the RPS connector (16 pins), between 1 (green) and 14 (brown / white) like in post above. I use common slot PSU 1200 W from another proliant server.
But to boot this system I found the only following way - remotely using IPMI. Via IPMI it's possible to start server, restart server. But shutdown doesn't work - shutting down Windows 10 shuts down the OS but coolers continue running. short circuiting PWR pins on motherboard doesn't start the system - only via IPMI.
Would be great to integrate HP PSU and Supermicro motherboard completely.
Another goal is to increase wattage of AC-063-2 A power backplane - it has limit: 62.5 A in +12 V line. But it allows to insert 2 common slot PSU 1200 W each. I want to use second free slot in the case and to add second 1200 W PSU. How to modify power backplane? Besides - I can get second AC-063-2 A backplane - but I think the only one backplane is sufficient for modification. Second PSU gives +12 V already - the problem is to synchronize 2 PSU in another not standard for backplane way.

jaltagracia

Jan 21, 2023
I tried the solution and works, even jumping the green and black on the standard 24 pin connector to turn it on outside the motherboard. The only thing I noticed is that only one Power Supply works, then I remove it the other does not kick in. Have anyone found out how to get the second PSU to kick in?

FoxGT

Mar 27, 2024
I designed an automatic PSU switching circuit, but haven't tested it yet (I'll post when I test it).
1 -- U_PSOK
2 -- D_PSOK
3 -- U_PRESENT#
4 -- D_PRESENT#
photo_2024-04-01_06-22-50.jpg
74HC02D, IRF7316
Buttons and LEDs are only needed for testing.
RC filters would probably be useful.