About that Power8 server for StH testing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
@Patrick if you get that Power8 server, could you guys do an extra thorough testing on it?

I'd like it if you could field test some application stuff on it as well, like fx replicate this experiment and see how it fares against a similarly specced Xeon server,
IBM Data Engine for Hadoop and Spark – Power Systems Edition

Just to see if IBM are on to something for real or are just trying to sell fancy stuff.

If you could report some actual at-the-wall watt numbers, that'd be great too, to see if e.g. it can deliver the same Passmark as a dual E5-26XX vY but at like half the power consumed or perhaps the other way around.

I really hope you guys get that server (from Tyan). I saw they sell a minimum spec one for $10k isch, but do you more pricing on it?

Or is it only meant for bulk procurement and huge individual rebates for companies? (In which case pricing gets severely blurred)

I find it thrilling to see 8 threads per core (10c/80t).

Slightly OT, but related to non-standard HW:
Reminds me of that juicy day in Oct 2016 when the Knights Landing Xeon Phi comes out in socket form with 72c/288t 300W TDP. Please tell me you are getting one of those for benchmarking? :)

Reactions: gigatexal

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am trying to get KNL for #STHmeetup #2. It was supposed to be at #STHmeetup 1 but Intel said no. SM had the box ready to bring but were told not to show it.

@Ramos do you have a script to run for the Xeon Spark stuff? I would be happy to try in the meantime. Also on the ARM machines.

Also - this will become a reality very soon: Tossing around an idea for STH 2016 - Shared lab facility? and that would be perfect for what you want to do.

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
I don't have the Spark code for that test. But I am good friends with IBM people, so maybe I can get some that way. Big maybe.

I am interesting in that shared lab thing, but not till after June 1st. Simply way too buzy atm :(