A s2011 motherboard that actually works with GPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
I have now gone through three Supermico C602 s2011 dual socket motherboards, and tried three different GPUs in them. They all stall in POST on error codes related to VGA-handoff. The only one I still remember the model nr of is X9DRH-7TF.

Can someone recommend a board with above mentioned specs for 2x E5-2670 v1 that they know works with a GPU. I want to run a GTX960 in it. Any of the ASUS or Gigabyte models work? Do I need to go the workstations board route to get one that works?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Yes, they basically said they couldnt do anything about it and that the couldnt guarantee that their boards worked with all GPUs
"All" and Any aren't exactly the same thing. Press them for a list of cards that will work.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
"All" and Any aren't exactly the same thing. Press them for a list of cards that will work.
Well thats true, but I want the 960 to work, need three displayports. I have already found a buyer on this latest Supermicro so I thought I might ask here before buying the next board.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Well thats true, but I want the 960 to work, need three displayports. I have already found a buyer on this latest Supermicro so I thought I might ask here before buying the next board.
I understand, my point was more that Supermicro's answer is a cop out. Not that you should get a card on the list that works. I'd guess there is no list of cards that works. Getting them to admit as much would be interesting since it basically debunks their argument of All if they can't point to any that work.

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Did you set Pcie first in bios?
Otherwise it will just default to onboard gpu if you don't check for cards first.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hm no, interesting idea, have you had luck with external GPUs and disabling via jumper yourself?

Yep. I'm running a GTX790. Set the on board video jumper to disabled and video worked just fine.

Reactions: Eson

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Which slots? Most likely want the one that the bios/efi hands off to be on cpu0.

Cpu version should be irrelevant (other than pci-e 2.0 vs 3.0) since no S2011 cpu has a gpu (no pins for it) which means only motherboard implementation matters: that boils down to bios config, slot enumeration and onboard vga issues.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
Which slots? Most likely want the one that the bios/efi hands off to be on cpu0.

Cpu version should be irrelevant (other than pci-e 2.0 vs 3.0) since no S2011 cpu has a gpu (no pins for it) which means only motherboard implementation matters: that boils down to bios config, slot enumeration and onboard vga issues.
The X9DRH-7TF only has one slot wide enough and thats on the second CPU.

Nathan_P

Apr 23, 2013
Well a Asus Z9PE-D8 WS will work with a 960, just be mindful that this board can generally be a PITA.

William

May 7, 2015
To Eson

What is it you are trying to do, make a workstation, gaming system etc ?

Boards like the X9DRH-7TF are not intended to be a workstation so yeah I can understand it having video issues. Others like the ASUS D8 are workstation boards and they do say SLI/Crossfire cert but they do not mean yean can throw 3-4 Geforce cards and get Quad SLI for games. I have gone over this with a bunch of people who try to do this with, it really means 3-4 GPU's in compute setups.

On the others be sure to set Above 4G Decoding to enable. Sometimes SM boards have it set to default and they will not boot with some GPU setups or even trying to use two. Use onboard video to enter the BIOS, no GPU installed, and set Above 4G Decoding. Then install your GPU's.

Yes the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS can act very strange at times, it makes a great WS setup tho. I did have some PCIe issues on mine, I was running 2x Titan Blacks in SLI and I had to move the GPUs over one slot to get everything to work right, so it was 2 middle PCIe blue slots, anything else and it would not boot.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
Did you disable on board video via jumper?
I tried this the first thing I did, I never went into BIOS to check the 4G-settings. It worked right away with my external nvidia GPU when I put the onboard CPU jumper to disable.

Maybe shouldnt have been so quick to dismiss Supermicro. Thanks for the tip Fritz!

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
To Eson

What is it you are trying to do, make a workstation, gaming system etc ?

Boards like the X9DRH-7TF are not intended to be a workstation so yeah I can understand it having video issues. Others like the ASUS D8 are workstation boards and they do say SLI/Crossfire cert but they do not mean yean can throw 3-4 Geforce cards and get Quad SLI for games. I have gone over this with a bunch of people who try to do this with, it really means 3-4 GPU's in compute setups.

On the others be sure to set Above 4G Decoding to enable. Sometimes SM boards have it set to default and they will not boot with some GPU setups or even trying to use two. Use onboard video to enter the BIOS, no GPU installed, and set Above 4G Decoding. Then install your GPU's.

Yes the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS can act very strange at times, it makes a great WS setup tho. I did have some PCIe issues on mine, I was running 2x Titan Blacks in SLI and I had to move the GPUs over one slot to get everything to work right, so it was 2 middle PCIe blue slots, anything else and it would not boot.
Its mainly performs server duties. But I have two 4k monitors that I now have a separate computer for. I just sit down at this workplace from time to time to do office work and wanted to be able to use the 4k monitors from the server itself and just ditch the extra computer.