A case like the Silverstone DS380 but MicroATX?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
I have built a decent ESX/ZFS-Napp-it box with the Silverstone DS380 and I like the case. A MicroATX case with 8+ SATA/SAS hot swap bays would give a lot of flexibility for adding HBA's and 10G Enet. Anyone seen something like this for a decent price...like $200 or less? Even a nice looking MicroATX that has 6x5.25 bays might work with a couple of hot swap chassis.

A couple of years back there was a company that was going to sell a pre-configured chassis that had 8+2 bays I think. It looked nice, but you had to get it with the MB and proc they configured it with. If I can find it again I'll post it for reference.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
The case I mentioned in my 1st post is the one BrontaStor BrontaStor | BrontaStor uses. I have not been able to find just the case anywhere, and the 'barebones' configs are pricey and no US sellers that I can find.

That is close to perfect as far as number of drives and space inside for expansion. I prefer 3.5" drive bays for the flexibility and higher capacity drive options. It will be cool to get to 4TB 2.5" drives at the $175 and lower prices we see today. But by then 4TB SSD's may be that cheap.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
That does look promising. Simple but lots of possibilities. @wyld, I'll keep looking for it, but if anyone sees it for sale, please post it here.

Spotswood

I could easily build a case around the Supermicro CSE-M28SAB-OEM, but that alone is ~$150.

EDIT: Hah! Or, I could use the hotswap bay pulled from that Silverstone case. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. :D

Unfortunately, pretty much zero information about the case. :(

Last edited:

abulafia

Jun 17, 2014
Manhattan
This past spring I looked into/at the S-919 (already mentioned, and surprised to see that because) last I checked, they were more of a proof of concept/sample/for rebranding/integration and so a direct order piece from iStarUSA. I did send an email, and they may have even replied, but I never followed up.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
I needed to build one of these a couple of weeks ago and went with a LianLi case from NewEgg that was mentioned in Great Deals I think. 7x3.5 and 2x5.25.

I think the Node 804 will be the next one I build.

Friends/family keep asking for small NAS'es with 4-8 drives, so I like to keep an eye on what others find in this chassis size.

Thanks for everyones input, and keep adding if you find anything new.

digastic

Oct 23, 2013
I was going to take the same route for my home NAS/ZFS box (DS680, ASROCK E3C224D4I-14S, 1U PSU mod etc.) but ever since I came across SST-RS831S I'm thinking more about a small silent head node like CSE-504-203B with couple of SSDs for cache and daisy chain SST-RS831S as needed. They seem pricey (EUR500) though and those 80mm fans are uknown quality.

What do you guys think?
Anyone has any experience with these boxes?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I was going to take the same route for my home NAS/ZFS box (DS680, ASROCK E3C224D4I-14S, 1U PSU mod etc.) but ever since I came across SST-RS831S I'm thinking more about a small silent head node like CSE-504-203B with couple of SSDs for cache and daisy chain SST-RS831S as needed. They seem pricey (EUR500) though and those 80mm fans are uknown quality.

What do you guys think?
Anyone has any experience with these boxes?
That's pretty nice looking and definitely fits an AV stack, but €500 is a ripoff

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
This past spring I looked into/at the S-919 (already mentioned, and surprised to see that because) last I checked, they were more of a proof of concept/sample/for rebranding/integration and so a direct order piece from iStarUSA. I did send an email, and they may have even replied, but I never followed up.
I also asked iStarUSA about their S-919 case and the guy responded to me saying that they do not have any in stock, but can make more with a minimum quantity order of 25. He didn't tell me the price unfortunately :'(

In my extensive search, everything with hot swap bays is either a full tower case or a mini itx case. For whatever reason it is very difficult to find a Micro-ATX case with hot swap in the US.

--Micro-ATX Cases:
But for what it's worth, this is what I've found (though buying them is difficult in most cases):

-Chyangfun CFI CH-C4000N
-ChyangFun CFI-A5000 or JMAX JX-FM500B (CFI-A5000 - Chyangfun Industry Company) or (JMAX JX-FM500B|PCパーツ・周辺機器の総合代理店 マスタードシード株式会社)
-CD LOG A500NCB Micro-ATX case
-iStarUSA S-919 (has 9 hot swap bays to add your own hot swap enclosures...requires bulk order)
-Lian Li PC-A04 (might be able to add Lian Li BP1Sata hot swap to the back of the internal 3.5 bays but not sure)
-Lian Li V354 (same as the Lian Li PC-A04)
-Lian Li PC-V600FB (can add more Lian Li BPSata backplanes)
-Lian Li PC-V650B (same as Lian Li PC-V600FB pretty much)
-Lian Li PC-M25 (says it fits both mini-itx and micro-atx)
-iXSystems FreeNas Mini XL Chassis (if you can find just the chassis)
-U-NAS NSC-810A (micro ATX version of NSC-800/810)
-Silverstone CS380 (micro ATX mid tower of DS380)

--Mini ITX cases:

-iStarUSA S-915 and S-917 (S-917 will probably fit a micro-atx with some modding)
-iStarUSA S-35 or S-46
-Lian Li PC-Q26 and Q25
-Lian Li PC-Q35
-Lian Li PC-M25
-Lian Li PC-TU200
-Silverstone DS380 (obviously)
-Silverstone CS280
-Silverstone CS01-HS
-Silverstone Rackmount RM208-Mini (CS-RM208-Mini)
-Norco ITX-S8
-U-NAS NSC-800 / NSC-810

--Mid Tower Cases (these are the smallest ones I could find that also had the most 5.25 slots to add hot swap bays into them):

-Sharkoon REX8 Value (small mid tower with 8 external 5.25 bays)...can be found on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de
-Sharkoon T9 Value (small mid tower with 9 external 5.25 bays)...can be found on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de
-Silverstone CS380
-Travla T2280
-iStarUSA D-3100HB, D-380, E3M8, or D-A380
-iStarUSA D-260HB, D-250, or D-265
-XCase EasyStore S16REH, X339F, or X348
-Logic Case SC-43400-8HS or SC-43480B
-Cooler Master Centurion RC-590
-Azza Helios 910
-Aerocool XPredator X1 (with some modding)
-Aerocool Strike-X Advance

The iStarUSA S-919 seems like the perfect fit for micro-ATX cases but when I inquired to iStarUSA Customer Service. They only were doing bulk orders of 25 units. This was back in 2015 though so it might have changed now.

I hope that helps anybody who is looking for something bigger than a mini-itx case, but smaller than a full tower, and that can offer hot swap bays.

UPDATE:
-U-Nas has created an update to their popular NSC-800/810 chassis. They now make a NCS-810A chassis that fits micro-ATX motherboards and retails for $219.99.
U-NAS NSC-810A Server Chassis (Power Supply Not Included)

-Silverstone has also released their Silverstone CS380 that can fit micro-atx boards and is a larger mid-tower version of their DS380.

Last edited: