A bunch of Juniper SRX300 firewalls dumped cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
125 STARTING, yikes, too rich for me!
i spent in excess of $325 for my SRX300 6 months ago and in excess of $800 for EACH of my SRX240H2 (ran them in a cluster). $125 starting bid is cheap.

if $125 is too pricey for your budget , you can pickup a EOL (End Of Life) SRX240H2 or SRX210H2 for under $100 and they will be software supported til 2022 last i looked BUT you will be stuck on JunOS 12.1 or 12.3 (12.3 was the recommended version last i looked).

this is ENTERPRISE grade hardware, you get what you pay for, you want consumer prices go buy consumer grade hardware.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to discuss this further.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's great and all, but I have near 1\2 dozen on the way to me for 125 or less....

I've already PMed you and discussed further, and appreciate and value ALL your input.

Last edited:
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
That's great and all, but I have near 1\2 dozen on the way to me for 125 or less....

I've already PMed you and discussed further, and appreciate and value ALL your input.
those got dumped way too cheap. i never followed the ending prices of them cause i already have 1. boggled my mind somebody would list them for cheaper than $225.

understand i didnt mean to come off as a a**hole, im just very BLUNT and straight to the point, ive done IT consulting work for MANY MANY years and the people attitudes i run across boggles my mind aka my sentence about consumer hardware and prices.

Last edited by a moderator:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
those got dumped way too cheap. i never followed the ending prices of them cause i already have 1. boggled my mind somebody would list them for cheaper than $225.

understand i didnt mean to come off as a a**hole, im just very BLUNT and straight to the point, ive done IT consulting work for MANY MANY years and the people attitudes i run across boggles my mind aka my sentence about consumer hardware and prices.
Oh yeah, none taken :)

I had some A******** replies from my BO's and straight declines, but I got the rest of inventory from one seller, and some from another for insanely great deals :D We're in the midst of another cycle right now so I expect the deals to continue until fall.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Oh yeah, none taken :)

I had some A******** replies from my BO's and straight declines, but I got the rest of inventory from one seller, and some from another for insanely great deals :D We're in the midst of another cycle right now so I expect the deals to continue until fall.
On a funny note, i spent part of last night poking serial numbers thru Juniper on my hardware ive bought in the last 2 years and i couldnt believe how much of it STILL has a ACTIVE support contract on HARDWARE. unfornately its not like i can use it since they are registered to somebody else.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks kind of odd, all the enterprise I have felt with the support is either matching lease periods or some specific timeline and rarely would something be dumped so new to still have much support. Did happen but not very often.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Thanks kind of odd, all the enterprise I have felt with the support is either matching lease periods or some specific timeline and rarely would something be dumped so new to still have much support. Did happen but not very often.
always seems juniper stuff that ends up on ebay or craigslist is out of support contract so finding my srx300 and both of my ex4300 is still under a active support contract was a huge suprise.

croman247

Dec 16, 2018
Picked up one of these and hoping to get it up and running soon. Excited to dive into enterprise hardware. Just started recently as a Telecom Admin at a new job. Would love to dive into the switching and routing aspect of things as time goes on but I really don't have a lot of experience there. I have an Aruba s2500 and have had some success configuring that for my home/lab use. I want to start by using this for my home internet/lab gateway. I messaged you @747builder to hopefully get some clarification on config and firmware.

Is it a good idea to try and find one of these $50 support contracts? Any idea on where to look? I did some light googling and haven't found a $50/yr juniper care reseller yet. (Likely googleer error)

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
From what it sounds like, I think you'll be find just playing with it out of the box sans support contract. But once you put it into production use (even at home), it might make sense to have the contract to have support.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Picked up one of these and hoping to get it up and running soon. Excited to dive into enterprise hardware. Just started recently as a Telecom Admin at a new job. Would love to dive into the switching and routing aspect of things as time goes on but I really don't have a lot of experience there. I have an Aruba s2500 and have had some success configuring that for my home/lab use. I want to start by using this for my home internet/lab gateway. I messaged you @747builder to hopefully get some clarification on config and firmware.

Is it a good idea to try and find one of these $50 support contracts? Any idea on where to look? I did some light googling and haven't found a $50/yr juniper care reseller yet. (Likely googleer error)
BEFORE you go down the route of the Juniper Care ($50), MAKE sure its NOT under a existing contract and can be registered to you FIRST.IF its already under a existing contract, your SCREWED.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Funny about stuff under existing contract, I had some Cusco stuff (expensive large enterprise gear that was under support for years more in another country), I just didn’t bother trying to correct it at mine, was going to be a difficult task to cancel and reissue support contracts.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
So I got one today and I'm still confused about the licensing stuff. I did a full reset and at the end of the wizard it asks for the license stuff so naturally I just clicked next since I don't have any. When you guys are saying that it's "honor based" does it mean every feature is technically activated and doesn't really need a license? Also the web UI is a little slow, not sure if it's just because of an older firmware that's loaded on it or not. Haven't had much time to check.

@747builder I'll be sending you a PM with my serial # once I'm home again

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
FINALLY got mine in, the seller took around a week\half to ship :/

Hopefuly all is good since i'm noticing a lot more selling fast.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
So I got one today and I'm still confused about the licensing stuff. I did a full reset and at the end of the wizard it asks for the license stuff so naturally I just clicked next since I don't have any. When you guys are saying that it's "honor based" does it mean every feature is technically activated and doesn't really need a license? Also the web UI is a little slow, not sure if it's just because of an older firmware that's loaded on it or not. Haven't had much time to check.

@747builder I'll be sending you a PM with my serial # once I'm home again
Licensing on the SRX, with the EXCEPTION of the yearly subscription stuff *IS* still honor based, it could change at any point.

jweb has always been slow, the CLI is where you should be spending your time configuring, i looked at jweb when i first got my srx300 and promptly disabled it.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
FINALLY got mine in, the seller took around a week\half to ship :/

Hopefuly all is good since i'm noticing a lot more selling fast.
Holy good god, thats horrible, id definitely ding him horribly on shipping time in feedback. did he have a 10 day handling delay listed in the auction?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Licensing on the SRX, with the EXCEPTION of the yearly subscription stuff *IS* still honor based, it could change at any point.

jweb has always been slow, the CLI is where you should be spending your time configuring, i looked at jweb when i first got my srx300 and promptly disabled it.
so that means every feature is available aside from the yearly subscription features? I think someone listed them earlier, 3 of them to be exact (IPS, IDS, Web Filtering?) is it those?