8 TB drives slow to a crawl and then show up as 1.2 TB?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I have shucked a few of the 8 TB WD external drives. They are REDs for the record. What happens is after a while of transferring data to them the transfer slows waaaaaayyyyy down. Then when I restart the system the partition is gone and the disk shows up 13,ooo MB in disk management. I also have one connected through its USB enclosure and it hasn't had any problems. I'm running WHS 2011 and using DrivePool. The drives are connected to the SATA ports on a SM X8SILF. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here or how I could recover these drives or prevent this from happening in the future?

Rain

May 13, 2013
Have you checked the SMART info on the problematic drives? That'll tell you if the drives actually have errors or if the corruption is happening elsewhere.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What's it say in DISKPART after you select this drive? Can you see any 'hidden' partitions, etc,? If so try to remove them?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Hmmmmm. The plot thickens. CDI sees it as 8TB.

I'm thinking that I just might need to whack this installation of Windows and start afresh.

Attachments

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Solved!

I updated the driver and now I'm cooking with gas!

Thanks for all the ideas folks.