8 TB drives slow to a crawl and then show up as 1.2 TB?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by S-F, Feb 16, 2018.

1. S-F

S-F Member

I have shucked a few of the 8 TB WD external drives. They are REDs for the record. What happens is after a while of transferring data to them the transfer slows waaaaaayyyyy down. Then when I restart the system the partition is gone and the disk shows up 13,ooo MB in disk management. I also have one connected through its USB enclosure and it hasn't had any problems. I'm running WHS 2011 and using DrivePool. The drives are connected to the SATA ports on a SM X8SILF. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here or how I could recover these drives or prevent this from happening in the future?

2. Rain

Rain Active Member

Have you checked the SMART info on the problematic drives? That'll tell you if the drives actually have errors or if the corruption is happening elsewhere.

3. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

What's it say in DISKPART after you select this drive? Can you see any 'hidden' partitions, etc,? If so try to remove them?

4. S-F

S-F Member

Hmmmmm. The plot thickens. CDI sees it as 8TB.

I'm thinking that I just might need to whack this installation of Windows and start afresh.

Attached Files:

5. S-F

S-F Member

Solved!

I updated the driver and now I'm cooking with gas!

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

6. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

What driver?

7. S-F

S-F Member

Intel RST. The drive showed up as 8TB immediately upon reboot.