5th Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Emerald Rapids Resets Servers by Intel

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
Looking at the Intel Ark specifications, I see that Emerald Rapids has a new feature that has not been mentioned.

For all models at which I have looked, it is possible to split the cores into a smaller group of cores running at a base frequency that is higher than the nominal base frequency and a bigger group of cores running at a base frequency that is lower than the nominal base frequency.

For instance, for a model with 28 cores at 2.1 GHz base frequency it is possible to split them thus:
  • High Priority Cores 8
  • High Priority Core Frequency 2.3 GHz
  • Low Priority Cores 20
  • Low Priority Core Frequency 1.9 GHz

As another example, for a model with 64 cores at 1.9 GHz base frequency it is possible to split them thus:
  • High Priority Cores 20
  • High Priority Core Frequency 2.1 GHz
  • Low Priority Cores 44
  • Low Priority Core Frequency 1.7 GHz

I wonder how exactly can this be done. I hope that Intel will publish a specification, or at least they will provide a Linux driver.

@Patrick: Have you tested this feature? If not, I believe that you should (but I suppose that first Intel must provide some kind of configuration tool).

EDIT:
Looking again at Ark, I see that I was wrong and this is not a new feature, but it has already been introduced since Ice Lake Server. Even if this may be in part due to the fact that in recent years I have paid little attention to the Intel server products, because they have been almost always non-competitive, I do not remember to have ever seen a test using this feature of core partitioning. I still believe that this would be an interesting test to perform.

Last edited:
Reactions: mach3.2

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
Looking at the Intel Ark specifications, I see that Emerald Rapids has a new feature that has not been mentioned.

For all models at which I have looked, it is possible to split the cores into a smaller group of cores running at a base frequency that is higher than the nominal base frequency and a bigger group of cores running at a base frequency that is lower than the nominal base frequency.

For instance, for a model with 28 cores at 2.1 GHz base frequency it is possible to split them thus:
  • High Priority Cores 8
  • High Priority Core Frequency 2.3 GHz
  • Low Priority Cores 20
  • Low Priority Core Frequency 1.9 GHz

As another example, for a model with 64 cores at 1.9 GHz base frequency it is possible to split them thus:
  • High Priority Cores 20
  • High Priority Core Frequency 2.1 GHz
  • Low Priority Cores 44
  • Low Priority Core Frequency 1.7 GHz

I wonder how exactly can this be done. I hope that Intel will publish a specification, or at least they will provide a Linux driver.

@Patrick: Have you tested this feature? If not, I believe that you should (but I suppose that first Intel must provide some kind of configuration tool).

EDIT:
Looking again at Ark, I see that I was wrong and this is not a new feature, but it has already been introduced since Ice Lake Server. Even if this may be in part due to the fact that in recent years I have paid little attention to the Intel server products, because they have been almost always non-competitive, I do not remember to have ever seen a test using this feature of core partitioning. I still believe that this would be an interesting test to perform.
I wonder how they tell the OS' scheduler about that split.

nils_

Dec 16, 2023
I'm really not convinced by the Accelerator story Intel is trying to sell, the accelerators are often not present in all CPUs and in addition they can't be virtualized. Who is going to buy a bunch of very big Intel CPU bare-metal server to run nginx on?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

Sapphire Rapids uncludes this feature already. SST-BF

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I'm really not convinced by the Accelerator story Intel is trying to sell, the accelerators are often not present in all CPUs and in addition they can't be virtualized
sure ?
" Intel® Virtualization Technology can use both SR-IOV and PCI pass-through for the acceleration services. SR-IOV enables the creation of VFs from a single Intel® QAT acceleration device to support acceleration for multiple Virtual Machines (VMs). If you do not need to share a single Platform Controller Hub (PCH) device with accelerator capabilities between multiple VMs, PCI pass-through is sufficient. The following sections describe the steps necessary to enable this functionality, with a focus on the SR-IOV use case. "
src

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
I'm really not convinced by the Accelerator story Intel is trying to sell, the accelerators are often not present in all CPUs and in addition they can't be virtualized. Who is going to buy a bunch of very big Intel CPU bare-metal server to run nginx on?
I would imagine running KVM with CPU type "host" would give access to them?