5TB WD RE SAS - $135

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Does WD have any plans to make SAS versions of 5/6TB REs? I didn't see them on their site, only SATA models.
Also, what does it mean when a drive is sold without a label? Less reliable than one with a label?
My best guess based on the preponderance of evidence is that these are some sort of engineering sample / pre-release drives as I cannot find any official documentation on a 5TB SAS drive from WD, nor any oem version (Dell branded etc).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
He now has 6TB SE for $180.

I haven't tested the 5TB yet, but sad he sold out already so not really a good "source" for lots of drives.

denpa

Feb 21, 2015
I just ordered 4x 6TB RE model WD6001FSYZ from him for 150/ea. He offered me them after I asked if any more SE ones were in stock. I figured for that cheap, it's worth it even without a warranty.

I'm curious as to how he obtained these drives considering they haven't made it to retail yet. There's another listing on ebay for ones with a label here but they also have no warranty. I asked the seller and he said they were purchased OEM without a warranty. Figured the no label ones were a better deal and bought them instead.

denpa

Feb 21, 2015
ES? He had 6TB SE model WD6001F9YZ listed a couple weeks ago so I asked him if he had any more to which he replied with having the RE model WD6001FSYZ. Although, he just sent me a screenshot of a drive with model WD6000FSYZ-13YMRB0 and firmware SP00, which makes me wonder if these drives were pre-release ones being sold off at a reduced price. I'm going to use these to store non-important and replaceable data anyway so I'm not too concerned if they aren't as reliable as a new drive with label.

denpa

Feb 21, 2015
Oh, yeah they probably are. For what I'm going to use them for it shouldn't matter, unless they corrupt all the data stored or something. I'll update when they arrive.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looking forward to it as my data needs are growing fast. I can't wait for larger capacity.. 10TB !

denpa

Feb 21, 2015
Got them today. They were just thrown in a box full of packing peanuts, so I'm going to email the seller and ask him to warranty the drives.

They show up as WD6000FSYZ (instead of WD6001) with firmware SP00 and serial numbers that show invalid on WD's site. They had 73 hours of use and adhesive residue where a small label was on the top. On the front side there's a small label with "DY5E 276". When powered up, they make a periodic seek noise as if they are doing background activity, which causes the seek times to spike.

I will be doing some extended burn in on these drives to see if they fail. For simple non-critical/replaceable file storage they should be fine, but I wouldn't trust them for anything important. At less than half the price of one with a label (link in an earlier post), they're a great deal.

EDIT: Seller responded and said he's sold "thousands" of drives and shipped them all with just packing peanuts, didn't even acknowledge my request for a warranty. I wouldn't recommend buying from this seller since he doesn't know how to properly package drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patriot