512Gb RAM Apartment Server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
So, I have 2x 850 EVO 1TB drives and everyone who is way smarter than I has told me while they work now, they will eventually turn to SLOW SLOW useless storage. Unless you're 95% reads, I'd look into enterprise SSD's. I'm going with a P3600 or P3700 if I can find a deal.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Sure 850 EVO are not good at sustained IOPS but then they make greate file share or capacity tier SSD :)
For the workload it sounds like a nice fast NVMe drive is in order... enterprise, just buy it later when it's build you have tested it otherwise and you can afford it.

64 gb lrdimm have always been pricy even before the memory is increases recently, we did a lot of DB servers with 768gb (24 x 32gb) in HP boxes that have 24 ram sockets, that was already expensive but to go beyond that's was just not sensesible in anyway way in terms of $$

Otto

Mar 18, 2017
@Monoman @Evan Good point - the 2Tb 850 EVO only has an endurance of 150Tb, so I'd realistically get about 2 years out of them. For twice the money I can get the 2Tb 960 Pros that are rated to 1.2Pb, which for this use case is forever. :) I'll go with Evan's suggestion and get everything working on the cheaper drives, then upgrade to NVMe and demote the EVOs to middle tier when I can afford to.

@Evan I agree - it is hard to see the value in spending $12k for 1Tb of RAM - by the time the company's DB grows enough to need that they'll have invested in their own environments, and this server will probably be used for other fun things (none of which will need a Tb of RAM)