50+TB NAS Build, vSphere Cluster and Network Overhaul

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
May be a newer version which doesn't need it. Does the chip not even have a heatsink then?

Arrogant

Jan 11, 2014
NRY, how are the ubiquiti access points? Have you ever run them without running the controller software at the same time? Basically, my parents have about a 5000 sqf home, and they need a real wireless solution because the linksys router is not cutting it. Thought of installing two of these for them. However, they would not have a server or a computer of any kind running all the time to run the controller softeware. I read that you do not need to run the controller software 24/7 but I was wondering what you experience with this was?

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
In a home setup you only need the controller software to setup or change config. There are 3 party hosting company that run the unifi software that you connect your ap to.

Arrogant

Jan 11, 2014
In a home setup you only need the controller software to setup or change config. There are 3 party hosting company that run the unifi software that you connect your ap to.
Thanks. So what is the cost of these 3rd party companies yearly?

nry

Feb 22, 2013
I have had it running without the software no problem. Also I believe you can run it on a Raspberry Pi.

As for the AP's in general I am very happy with both the standard model and even happier with the Pro model.
Very easy to setup.
WiFi signal never has dropped out on me
Distance is good (standard ones are average on distance).
Low power consumption
Pro model speed is more than adequate.

Overall highly recommend them :)

jingjing

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
As this is all being setup in a temporary place (will all live in a 42U when I move) I have no access to the back. Plus the equipment is located in the one of the worst places so wanted a easy way of moving it in and out.

Arrogant

Jan 11, 2014
Ok, another quick question with these, and this might be dumb, but I need to know. Assuming there are two of these running to a central structured wiring panel, do the cat6 runs to each of these get punched down, then go to the POE adapter, and then to the switch? Do POE adapters work after the wires are punched down? I assume they would but just want to make sure.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Yep will be fine after being punched into a patch panel or socket

Arrogant

Jan 11, 2014
Cool. Have you experimented with two of these AP's running the same SSID, and using the zero handoff feature? Curious as to how the zero handoff feature works when you are in an area where the signal stregnth for both AP's is very strong, and your device cannot tell which signal is the stronger of the two.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
At the events I was doing at the end of last year we had two Pro AP's pretty much side by side with the same SSID.

Not too sure how wireless was suppose to work with regards to this, but roughly 50% of the devices joined AP 1 and the rest on the other. If one AP is turned off the remaining devices started using the other AP within a few seconds.
Not a very scientific explanation but overall I didn't have any issues :) and we went through hours and hours of using these access points with about 30 iPads

vikingboy

Jun 17, 2014
Nice thread and setup. Ive just picked up some Intel x520s with Intel SFP+s and wanted to use one with my macbook pro via a Sonnet Echo Express.
The Intel cards aren't on the Sonnet compatible list - do you know if they might work or not by chance?
thx in adv

nry

Feb 22, 2013
99% sure they will not work unfortunately. The only Intel based cards which work I think are the small tree ones.
10GbE Cards - Small Tree

Might be worth keeping an eye out for the Myricom ones, I managed to pick my single port up dirt cheap, and if your in the US I'm sure you will have no problem sourcing one.

Be interested to see your speed results!

vikingboy

Jun 17, 2014
Appreciate the feedback, looks like you are right. @Intel - you suck!
I'm in the uk,so it looks like it's not going to be cheap to get one either, plus shipping and p&p & duties etc.
Before I go any further, do DAC and optical cables work between these boards and an intel one in my other devices or am I better off selling these x520s off and buying a box of Myricoms?

Thx for the feedback in advance

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Back in september the seller future-gs on ebay had 2x 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S.
Not too sure he ever sold the other one as I had no need for 2! might be worth dropping him a message. Think I paid £150 + £20 for a two Myricom SFP+ modules.

So my SFP+ module testing is as followed

X520-DA2
- Intel AFBR-703SDZ-IN2 - OK
- SFP-H10G DAC - OK
- Myricom 10G-SFP-SR - FAIL

Myricom PCIe (2 port)
- SFP-H10G DAC - OK
- Myricom 10G-SFP-SR - OK

Dell 8024F
- SFP-H10G DAC - OK

Dell 5524
- SFP-H10G DAC - OK

The Intel and Myricom transceivers work fine together too.
I had some HP DAC cables too which I think have been posted previously, had nothing but problems with these so don't use them.
I have had zero issues with Dell/Cisco DAC cables
Must have around 10 of these as I got them really cheap! New Dell CISCO Twinax Cable SFP-H10GB-CU3M 37-0961-01 Dell J564N 0J564N | eBay

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Also what is your planned setup? The Intel NIC will work fine with Myricom, so could be used server side.

vikingboy

Jun 17, 2014
Planned setup is a macbook workstation utilising 10gb to edit video and audio files which will also be accessed by various clients (viewing only so perf less important).
I did some research on the Myricom's and found some feedback that they use a replacement libpcap library that then breaks being able to listen to the regular onboard nice and more importantly, don't support PF_RING sharing load over multiple cores.
Have you done any testing in anger yet with real data rather than synthetic benchmarks? Id hate to splash the cash and then find that its a less than optimal solution, for £150 Id take gamble but looks like currently its going to cost at least double that to get one here.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Workstation wise I have seen pretty poor results to be honest, bearing in mind I am using 2011 Apple Kit which may be a limiting factor as I think that's early thunderbolt kit?
So on the iMac (i7 24GB ram) I get around 4Gbps over 10GbE on iperf, samba hits 150MB/s tops and iSCSI hits 200MB/s tops, thats all sequential read/write which is primarily what I wanted it for.
MBP (i7 16GB ram) I see around 2Gbps using the same 10GbE kit/enclosure, samba hits 90MB/s and iSCSI also 90MB/s did this to see if there was an issue with my iMac...

I have tried enabling jumbo frames, OS X TCP window size etc with no change to performance.
According to everything I have read on the Myricom website, my PCIe bandwidth should be around 800MB/s to the enclosure but still can't squeeze anymore performance out of the results I am seeing. Yet everything else on the 10GbE network is seeing 9.98Gbps performance without jumbo frames and working perfectly :)
If you have any suggestions on improving this which you would like me to test let me know and I'll try find some time to play.

To be honest I was aiming for around 500MB/s which I'd be very happy with but cant help but feel the thunderbolt enclosure is limiting me here.
Google returns next to nothing on the subject, I'd love to experiment with a Mac Pro and a newer Thunderbolt 2 version of the chassis but currently can't justify dropping £4k on the kit when everything is working perfectly haha