4x2.5gbe aliexpress box running at 135F on the surface ? :).

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DocSal

Jan 15, 2023
just started playing with proxmox on one of those topton/honorbox devices with heavy fanless case, 4x2.5gbe intel nics and an rj45com port..

this one has an intel i5-11th gen embedded in it.

i put some ram and an nvme and ssd in it.. and installed proxmox.

without even using it for any network traffic, just the 1 nic plugged in, it runs at/over 135F on the surface of the fins, and 125F or so on the underside.

that cannot be right, right? something up with this unit?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
That i5 sounds like a lot higher TDP than the N5015/N6005 Patrick reviewed and its still fanless? They can build it without a fan but that doesn't mean they should. Does it have a USB port, you could buy one of those small fans powered by the USB and lay it on top of case for some airflow.

DocSal

Jan 15, 2023
Yeah usb ports galore :).

Will pull the ram out and drop from 2x32b 3200 crucial to 1x16gb slower ram and pull the 2tb teamgroup and put in a 250gb wd nvme.. and pull the ssd.. see if i can repaste the cpu.. and get a usb fan to sit on top of it..

but right now it literally is too hot to handle, if left plugged in.

one of these - with an i5-1135G7

Attachments

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
Check your bios and see if high states are enabled, also install power top and use its auto-tune function. It may at.least bring down the heat at low usage.

You could also buy a wine fridge ;)

• Haha
Reactions: amalurk

DocSal

Jan 15, 2023
could not get it below 89C (from cpu temp sensor via linux shell). even with new paste and fan. and then it died.

aliexpress seller not taking the return.. where else can i get little boxes to play with that would be reliable enough to drop into a home network?
have had a couple bad experiences trying to get anything useful from ali, now.. just a lot of wasted $ and time.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
Unlucky, I won't buy from China unless its a hard to find component, had a few bad experiences and, China.

DocSal

Jan 15, 2023
Aliexpress being singularily unhelpful in getting this dispute resolved.

Seller says return and gives bad address, but address will not validate in any shape with a shipping service.. stalling Dispute process which means I will lose the $

Aliexpress just telling me to contact seller.

here is the address i am supposed to enter in a label somehow - this is the guy to avoid, from Honor Box:

mr zhao 15989577457
China Guangdong Province Shenchou Bao'an District 305, block a, phase 1, xinghongji logistics park, xinghua road, xingwei
CN 518000 Shenchou Guangdong Province