4x M.2 SSDs in a 3.5" Drive bay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
This may just be the perfect solution for using the last 4 channels in the Supermicro 5018A-AR12L. Tentatively thinking 2 Intel 530's for boot, 2 530's for cache and 12 6 or 8 TB spinners for bulk if they hurry up with the 8TB drive releases. Thanks for sharing.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Anybody seen something like this that sits in a PCIe slot? 4x mSata (or M.2) on the card, power only from PCIe bus, and an 8087 connector on the end of the card? Would only need PCIe x1 to take power.

Just looking for cleaner ways to mount SSDs for Raid Log/Cache drives. Lets you use smaller parts but still connect to a higher performance HBA.

Something like this but without the crappy Marvel sata controller - just exposing the drives on an SFF connector.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Anybody seen something like this that sits in a PCIe slot? 4x mSata (or M.2) on the card, power only from PCIe bus, and an 8087 connector on the end of the card? Would only need PCIe x1 to take power.

Just looking for cleaner ways to mount SSDs for Raid Log/Cache drives. Lets you use smaller parts but still connect to a higher performance HBA.

Something like this but without the crappy Marvel sata controller - just exposing the drives on an SFF connector.
You know, I wish I knew what was involved in designing PCB for this type of idea.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Seems perfect for those SuperMicro chassis many of us will be receiving soon. Hoping that the dual 2.5" frames really are installed (2x Raid1 boot disks). Then 4x mSATA for Zil (if you love ZFS) or Cache/Log (if you use SS) connected to the second SFF port on the HBA.

Would be very clean. Much better than the ghetto SSD packs I use in my current FS.

Late thought: you might even be able to arrange a small rechargeable battery or SuperCap on the board to give the mSATA drives just enough time to maintain reliable writes on power loss. This part is probably a stretch and makes the board much more complex - goes from completely passive to a bit of design work.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just got my Supermicro SC847A. I put a X9DRH-7TF in there (which is a perfect fit including cables/ connector sizes) and then had the realization: there is no space for a boot drive and no power connectors. Oh well!

That is the box I hope to use for future SSD/ HD testing though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@ColdCanuck I was thinking about a similar solution, but I am a bit worried regarding the number of PCIe lanes I will need. 36 drives / 4 drives per SFF-8087 = 9 / 2 per controller - 1 onboard means I need a total of 3.5 (so 4) extra controllers in the chassis at a minimum. 1-2 spots for SFP+/ QSFP+ networking and that means I only get 1-2 extra slots for PCIe SSDs. Tough decisions!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The power connectors for the backplanes are molex, so you should be able to put a splitter on one of those and use it for your boot drives.
Its probably even simpler than that. I tried to look for specs but can't find them easily. As I recall from the last one I worked with, the Supermicro 1400 watt power distributor has 6 4-pin Molex connectors. The backplanes should only require 3 (two font, one rear). That means there are probably 3 molex connecters hidden in the bundle of wires stuffed in front of the power distributor. Even if not, however, @Entz is correct that a splitter would be quite simple.

Where to put them is another issue ;)
That one is simple (though access would be a PITA): put them in the lower part of the chassis, under the MB tray, between the front backplane and the rear one.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea the case is very compact. I have to say, I looked at it while installing the motherboard and balked at having to take the entire chassis apart.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA

ChrisRam

Dec 28, 2013
It will not work with XP941 since XP941 is PCIe only. This is only for SATA based M.2 products.