4U Chassis that can handle dual ATX board with Hyper 212 coolers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Anyone know of a 4U Chassis that can handle dual ATX board with Hyper 212 coolers? I'd rather not remove the coolers as something like the Noctuas are a little expensive.

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
What you want doesn't exist. 4U heatsink height should be <=154mm or so. To fit Hyper 212s, you would need a 5U+ chassis.
More generally, it's better to assume that you need heatsinks <=150mm just in case.
The Hyper 212 is ~159mm.

Squeezing a 120mm fan onto a heatsink that fits in a 4U rack means that you may (actually, it's incredibly likely) run into memory clearance issues. The only safe mount is if the fan is sandwiched in the middle of the radiator fins, such that the fan is mounted right on top of the CPU socket.

A CM Hyper T4 is 153mm tall, there are some other 152mm heatsinks, but they may or may not clear the height of memory. I actually do have a Hyper 212 and it doesn't fit in any 4U case that I've tried.
I just ended up sticking in a junky Deepcool ICE BLADE 200M, which has 92mm fans. (20$, it was cheaper than any other guaranteed-fit cooler).

dimms are around 30mm tall. a 120mm fan is obviously 120mm tall. This means that a 120mm fan has to have a very exact mounting spot to clear the height of memory and still fit in the case.

Reactions: Patrick

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Thanks for the response fsck. However, I agree with most of your points but disagree that there is not any 4U chassis that is unable to fit a Hyper 212. In fact, the Newegg reviews has a couple of cases that seem to fit. Finding a 5U chassis would be ideal but mostly unlikely. In regard to memory clearances, I am not concerned with that as I have these coolers already running in a desktop chassis. I am merely looking for rack mount them/change chassis.

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
Which cases? If it can fit a 212 Evo, it could probably fit a thermalright U120 (~161mm) and that would be useful for me.
A 4U case is <=7" tall which is 178mm. I have a 212 Evo which is 159mm tall. That means you have 19mm to play with. Standoffs need to be >=6.4mm which drops you down to 12.6mm for the case and motherboard. Motherboards are usually around 2mm thick so you're left with 10.6mm for the chassis. This is assuming perfect tolerances.