43" 4K Ultra HD TV as a monitor v. 2x HP ZR30w 30" monitors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
It's hard to beat some of the good Korean monitors on functionality and price.
I keep wondering how much they would be per pallet or container load. People shy away from the Korean resellers in North America but the product outperforms the junk sold at similar prices locally and is extremely close in picture quality to the best monitors you can buy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It's hard to beat some of the good Korean monitors on functionality and price.
I keep wondering how much they would be per pallet or container load. People shy away from the Korean resellers in North America but the product outperforms the junk sold at similar prices locally and is extremely close in picture quality to the best monitors you can buy.
I have two of the old 27" ones when folks were just realizing they could get them from Korea. One died on me. The other I stopped using from the DVI-D requirement.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
It would be interesting if time to failure stats were available with some of these units. If I knew 90+% of these units lasted > 48 months and there was a reasonable mfr warranty reselling would be easy. I there are a substantial percentage failure rate in the first 12 months it gets ugly from a customer service/expectations perspective. Sticking with the simple electronics and the A- or better panels likely reduces much of this risk.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
It would be interesting if time to failure stats were available with some of these units. If I knew 90+% of these units lasted > 48 months and there was a reasonable mfr warranty reselling would be easy. I there are a substantial percentage failure rate in the first 12 months it gets ugly from a customer service/expectations perspective. Sticking with the simple electronics and the A- or better panels likely reduces much of this risk.
And that's the problem with ordering Korean panels. If you are willing to play the panel lottery, they can be a great deal. If you want a professional quality panel that will be supported for years, there is a premium associated. It becomes a question of individual value.

Personally I value my time more than the savings that come from an oddly sourced panel - I have a full-time job, more consulting work than I can handle, two children and a wife who has an even more demanding career than I do. If I save one days worth of productivity by spending another $400 on a monitor, then I've already made up the difference in price, and then some.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
For what it's worth @CreoleLakerFan , I would value vizio far, FAR lower than the korean panels. They might be easier to return (not actually true. greensum on ebay will pay return shipping for defects/warranty claims), but they are absolute shite on the visual quality and are made of chinesium.

I do, however, understand your point. But you've got to pay to play. Even DELL can be considered problematic with their panels. What do you move up to? Planar?

Diavuno

I ordered a batch of LCD panels a few years back... about of third of them failed in the first year.
ended up swapping caps in 250 panels.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Picked up a M43-C1 on a BF Deal from Dell for 400$ best investment yet!! Computer Monitor and Gaming for XB and XBOne! WIN!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
To get the UI usable:
1. Restart
2. Right click on desktop -> Display settings -> Advanced display settings -> Advanced sizing of text and other items -> set a custom scaling level
3. I changed to 100% which seems to be about normal size everything now and a bit easier when you are close to a screen this big.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Two small updates: 1) The green shift and 2) As requested gaming

Upon going to the PC this morning I found two things had happened. 1) The Vizio turned itself off due to a power saving setting. 2) The workstation, and its new Windows 10 install, was set to power saving standby mode. When I woke the PC I realized I needed to power ON the Vizio. Luckily there is a remote for that. When the PC came back from sleep I saw this:

VIZIO M43-C1 on desk green shift.jpg
A reboot fixed it.

The other thing I got a few PMs about was gaming. I tried that this morning:
VIZIO M43-C1 LoL.jpg
It is HUGE! I have to get the new TV/ HDMI 2.0 cable for "Gaming" mode but this was too big for me. Trying to use skills meant positioning more than a foot across the screen. This is probably not a professional gaming setup (by far) but if you were a casual gamer and sat a bit further away it would be usable.