42U Rack+15" Console+PDUs, Austin TX area folks $200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
incredible deal. i have that exact rack and rack kvm/console setup. if it were closer to me, i would pick this up right now for my mini-DC build.

Reactions: Patrick

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
this is HOT, flying to TX for it now .... j/king...

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Great condition compared to a lot of the racks you find on Craigslist that have been sitting in someone's yard for a year or two.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Great condition compared to a lot of the racks you find on Craigslist that have been sitting in someone's yard for a year or two.
you know, i've seen that! what is up with people who leave the rack out in the yard to rust and then try to sell it for $600?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I think the workflow is something like this:
  1. Get into homelab
  2. Decide it's time to go rackmount
  3. Find a 42U rack for ~$200 on Craigslist and figure you found the deal of a lifetime because you've never looked before
  4. Load it up with a bunch of old, loud gear in a room with poor soundproofing
  5. Person or their SO says it's taking up too much space, too loud, etc.
  6. They try to sell it for %50 of MSRP even though there's no way anyone would pay that, but this goes back to them thinking the price they paid was a once in a lifetime deal.
  7. It sits outside for months until they eventually lower the price enough to move it
Tale as old as time. Just like the 10 year old servers on Craigslist where they include the original invoice to show just how valuable it is :rolleyes:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I remember this one day I was looking on the local CL and there was someone that was giving away a complete 42U rack in great shape--they just needed it gone in 24hrs...and it was!

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Didn't imagine that this post would be a conversation starter...

Like ebay, you would just have to ignore the crazy listings on CL.

I've only bought / sold couple of things on CL. I found my 24U rack from a small local upstream oil company that was down sizing during the 2015-16 bust.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Ear Plugs
Depending on the gear used, servers can be configured to be RELATIVELY quiet. Staying away from 1U form factors also tends to help. I used to sleep in the same room while crypto mining with about 3KW of running gear.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i think besides the noise, also might not have the space for this size of server rack.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Also, Altex Electronics tends to carry used server racks. Not quite as good of a deal though (~$250 for a bare 42U IIRC).

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you are around large metro area, be patient and setup alerts on CL. The other option is to get in touch with e-Cycling companies in the area. Noise wise even 2U gets annoying in the same room after a while. For Apt living, best to stay with 4U or pedestals. From time to time you will see 14 /18 U for a really good price. But's mostly a moving type of sale. Another thing to watch out for is the depth and square holes. Lot of the listings are old style threaded posts.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
If you are around large metro area, be patient and setup alerts on CL. The other option is to get in touch with e-Cycling companies in the area. Noise wise even 2U gets annoying in the same room after a while. For Apt living, best to stay with 4U or pedestals. From time to time you will see 14 /18 U for a really good price. But's mostly a moving type of sale. Another thing to watch out for is the depth and square holes. Lot of the listings are old style threaded posts.
i'm totally ignorant on this matter, but how do you setup alerts on CL?