4 nvme in Dell Precision T5810

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
I'm looking to pick up 4x 2tb nvme drives to do a windows storage spaces parity array for vhd storage and code repo.

My question is what pcie card would be best for it. Will I see a noticeable difference between the different levels of cards?

The offical dell one is $170:

But Asus has one for $55:

Then there's konyead for $199:

Are these adapters just direct passthrough or are they doing something which will affect how fast they operate? I'm no stranger to cheap hba's that have crap speeds, but right now, i don't want that.

Right now I store my vhd's on 4 arrays consisting of 6 disks in raid 5 for a total of 24 disks on an lsi 2.5" DAS connected to a dell r310 which has multiple 10gb nics out to switches that are connected by 10gb nics to r630 vm servers with 2680 v3's and 128gb ram. I'm trying to consolidate down to a single t5810 with e5 2699 v4 22 core with 256gb ram and this will be my storage. So it needs to be at least equal, or preferably better than this.

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
Based on some cursory research, it looks like that system supports x4x4x4x4 PCIe bifurcation. You should be able to use the cheaper cards. Electrically, the cheaper cards pretty much just pass the PCIe lanes to the M.2 sockets. I don't know if PCIe 3.0 vs. 4.0 makes a difference on this kind of card.

If the motherboard didn't support bifurcation, you would need one of the more expensive cards.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
so, you should make sure your box supports bifurcation (x4x4x4x4) if it doesn't support that you shoud go with koneyead or any other cards with PLX chip.

The asus card or dell card do not have PLX chip. It relies on motherboard to do that.

(dell card)

why so expensive? cause dell likes to charge.

here's another one from qnap
(I believe it has PLX chip, and decent cooling) (the asus card cooling is terrible at best.)

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
From what I've been reading, bifurcation is supported. It doesn't specifically say it, but on the spec sheet it says add 4 m2 drives with that specific dell ultra speed drive quad adapter. Which is why I know the dell one works. I just wasn't sure if the non-dell ones would function the same.

I did find the dell one for $75 on ebay, so I think i may go that route. I don't know how big of a thing heat on m2 drives is, but everhting I see boasts heat syncs and fans making me think they get warm.