4 Mini ITX Boards in 1U Chassi?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nik-

Jul 5, 2016
Hi there,

are there any 1U Chassies which can hold 4 Mini ITX Boards? I'd like to build a high density cloud with C2750 SoCs.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi there,

are there any 1U Chassies which can hold 4 Mini ITX Boards? I'd like to build a high density cloud with C2750 SoCs.

Thanks for any suggestions!
We have worked with several hosting providers to spec out something similar. By the time you get to 20-30 nodes, Supermicro MicroBlade System Review Part 1: becomes very attractive with their 4x C2750 per blade nodes.

Reactions: Jon Massey

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Mini ITX is 6.7"x6.7", 4X 6.7" = 26.8", a 19" rack is... well you see the problem now I hope

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Mini ITX is 6.7"x6.7", 4X 6.7" = 26.8", a 19" rack is... well you see the problem now I hope
That is right and why we usually see twin designs in non standard from factors.

What you would typically doing you were trying this is to do a 2x2 layout. The issue there is that cabling gets very messy quickly and maintenance becomes challenging.

I think the primary reason we do not see this type of architecture is that the industry found a better way.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
You need to think outside the box. Literally ;) Leave the top of the rack and mount the boards vertically!

Assuming you can't stack the boards on top of one another, (and you could only do that in a 1U enclosure if there were no components on the boards methinks) you could theoretically fit in a 2x2 configuration - assuming 1 centimetre* gap between each board that'd give you a square of 17+17+1 = 35cm. This is theoretically fittable into a ~44x60cm pizza box but doesn't leave much in the way of space for storage, cables or power supplies. 80cm deep racks give you a bit more breathing room but not a great deal; don't think I've seen any signs of anyone going so far as to try making one, especially in a 1U format. Might be doable with boards that take DC in and only use USB/mSATA/M2 storage and maybe an internal KVM (else you'd also need to route all the USB/PS2/VGA etc for each board out to the back) but I don't think it's a goer on anything else.

Makes more sense to go for a platform specifically designed for high density, like blades or that weird hybrid format intel came out with. Whole lot of space would be wasted using mITX since it devotes a fair amount of real estate to the PCIe slot in any case.

* UKian here and I want to get as much usage out of my beloved SI units before the bonkers nationalists come insist on us re-adopting the imperial system, or something even more ludicrous like beard-seconds.

D'oh, ninja'd by Patrick. Multitasking is a lie perpetuated by those who won't admit to doing a whole lot of things slower!

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
I'm a UKdian, europhile and metricophile , but figured I'd use the units most familiar to our primitive cousins ;)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm a UKdian, europhile and metricophile , but figured I'd use the units most familiar to our primitive cousins ;)
A UKdian? You mean the lads who measure their beer in Pints but post their roads in Miles & MPH? At least we're consistently primitive! ;)

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
A UKdian? You mean the lads who measure their beer in Pints but post their roads in Miles & MPH? At least we're consistently primitive! ;)
It's called eccentricity, damnit! :p

"It is a basic requirement of any British institution that it baffle foreigners"
--Bill Bryson

Reactions: PigLover

Mikey0843

May 20, 2015
A dutch company called ECOServer used to make 4 in 1 server cases.

This is the older model they also have an updated version of this that has a module inside it to turn the server on or off.
I have one of these for over a year now and i can say that the build quality isn't that great. personally i never used it with 4 motherboards. instead i used only 2 mobo's and covered the other 2 with a metal plate with standoffs to mount a dual port nic.

The cabling is quite hard to get it to nice and tidy. there are enough cable hooks in the middle though.

PS. the server on the picture isn't mine