3D printer services are expensive!!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I came across this https://www.printables.com/model/115768-1x525-optical-disk-drive-bay-to-4x25-up-to-15mm-th which is ideal for various projects that involve repurposing old cases.

I don't own a 3D printer. Used an online estimating tool and price was £90! That's starting to get into IcyDock etc adapter territory and those tend to be (partly) metal and hot swap.

I think I'll ask for a budget 3D printer for my birthday. Which will likely be a family resource...

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I have a couple of those. They don't accommodate 15mm tall 2.5" drives. They are about six laptop class 2.5" drives with some being mounted upside down. I have 16 15mm 2.5" drives.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
How about something like this if the width fits and you have enough vertical space in case youre golden.

2.5 hotswap cages have far less value than LFF ones i am pretty sure you can find more of these you want to find them with ordering numbers

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I've looked at that sort of thing. Problem is that I broke my wrist recently and don't have a lot of strength or range of motion. DIY that requires two hands isn't possible atm. I'll probably return to it once wrist permits. I'm building a less well specified NAS to bridge the availability gap.

In addition to those 6 x 2.5" drives to 5.25" drive bay adapter not accomodating 15mm tall drives, they also require mounting of some of the drives upside down. That's not a huge issue for SAS/SATA data connectors but power connectors tend to be stiffer.

The ICY BOX IB-AC652 Internal Mounting Frame allows for 3 x 15mm tall 2.5" drives without needing upside down drives. It might use RaidSonic brand in some markets. Three 15 mm tall drives in a 5.25" bay is a good compromise. Metal is good for heat conduction. And Amazon.co.uk was offering it at a discounted price.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Reactions: T_Minus