38mm vs 40mm fans

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aarcane

Feb 16, 2016
Are 38mm and 40mm fans two different names for the same physical fans? Or are 40mm fans actually 2 mm larger in the square dimension? I'd like to buy some 40mm fans to test-fit them in a 38mm fan location, but I don't want to waste the time and money if it's not going to work out. Also, is there a good list of good, silent 38 and 40mm fans of varying dimensions that are readily available? I tried to search, but all I can find are fans rated for CFM with no regard for noise levels.

aarcane

Feb 16, 2016
So after much research and a lot of nothing, I decided to buy a trio of Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fans for USD $15 each. They're a little shorter than the 38x38x38 fans, but the 38x38x38 fans are about half plastic reinforcement and half fan. So I don't have significantly less fan.
That said, when I tried to fit them, I found that 38mm vs 40mm is an appreciable size difference, and a device that uses 38mm fans and are a snug fit will likely NOT support 40mm fans.
If you're a brave DIYer like myself, you can use some high grit sandpaper and just sand 1mm off each side of the 40mm noctua fans and have a solid feeling 38x20mm fan. Just use a hobby knife to clean up the dangly edges and a can of air to blow away the dust.
Do Not recommend for enterprise or production deployments obviously, but for homelab or home switch/1u devices, it's a viable workaround.