$350: Dell T40 w/ Xeon E-2224G, 8GB ECC, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by UhClem, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Almighty

Almighty Member

Being picky I know, but I wonder if someone could/will post the latest BIOS, 2.4.2, as that one has urgent security fixes.

Edit: now that I think about it, can I just go through the normal BIOS update process after initially flashing this 1.1.10 BIOS bin?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Samir likes this.
  2. Samir

Samir Well-Known Member

Isn't it here?
    Dell Precision 3630 Tower System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell Canada

I think you could since it's just a 3630 at that point, but I don't think anyone has tried that.

3. Almighty

Almighty Member

You can't flash the downloaded bios from Dell's site as it doesn't contain the nvram and some other pieces needed to flash directly to the chip itself. You have to pull the full bin from the chip on a 3630 (or find one someone else pulled online), flash that, and then i guess i can go through normal updates. I'm going to play with it this weekend.

altmind and Samir like this.
  4. UhClem

UhClem New Member

On my T30 w/BIOS v1.0.15, a NVMe drive in one of the x4 slots does "appear" to be boot-able; it is BIOS-configurable regarding boot-ability (and boot order) [but I haven't tried to boot from it].

Regarding the M.2 connection, physically, on the T30 (specifically), what screw type/thread (for 2280) ? or is it just kluge-time? (I'll go with BIOS v1.0.0 once I've got it attached). tnx

Samir likes this.
  5. UhClem

UhClem New Member

Something possibly worth noting during your experimentation is whether the 3630 BIOS omits any T40 BIOS functionality (ie, AMT/iDRAC etc) -- [maybe this is one of those "be careful what you wish for ..." situations?]

Samir likes this.
  6. Samir

Samir Well-Known Member

So I just found a thread on the Dell community that confirms (though secondhand) that people are booting off of add-in nvme cards even when the internal m.32 is disabled:
    RE: T30 and M.2 NVMe SSD? - Dell Community

7. altmind

altmind Member

T40 does not have ipmi in the first place. And 3630 may still have amt, need to check it.

Samir likes this.