3.5 to 2.5 adapter for c2100, c6220, c6100 trays?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

d2000

Nov 17, 2013
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone know if there's an adapter for those. Like an official adapter. I know there's one called 9W8C4 but it seems to be for older models of the tray.

I was wondering if there isn't, has anyone tried one of those cheap adapters on the internet. I don't want to use one of those enclosure that uses its own circuits although those will definitely work I suppose.

Thanks

d2000

Nov 17, 2013
hi dba. I was hoping to avoid the icydocks and icepack. Do they work well for you? I've had badluck with icydocks before and I think these types of enclosure is somewhat redundant since they add an extra electronic layer. Of course they're a bit spendy as well.

I am hoping to find the type like 9W8C4 or like for the supermicro trays which I like. An easy and cheap way to do it.

From looking at this link http://www.servethehome.com/picking-35-25-adapter-sata-sas-drives/ mentions Jeff was working on a bit more indepth. But I don't see any subsequent post on that.

By the way, I just found out STH is hosted at fiberhub. I've been thinking of getting 1/2 to full rack there this christmas there. Good to see STH trusts them to host servers there.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I have tons of these and they work perfectly, they are NOT the same as the icydock:
Industrial Chassis | iStarUSA Products | BPU-2535-SI - 1 x 3.5" to 1 x 2.5" SATA I/II/III Hot-Swap Drive Cage
iStarUSA BPU-2535-SI Accessories - Newegg.com (no longer carried under this SKU)

There are no "electronics" in these, no different than a short sata cable really.

They have the same dimensions and port locations of an actual drive. One very important point: the side screw holes are for external 3.5" bays in cases (the ancient floppy drive standard), while the bottom screws holes are exactly the same as regular 3.5" drives.
If your trays screw in from the side, don't get them. (if I remember correctly, double check I don't have this backwards)

They are sold under different brands with their own model #s or sometimes brandless but I believe that is the actual OEM. You can find them for <$10 shipped from time to time. If they are sold out when that deal happens, it means I beat you to it ;)

I mostly use them in trayless bays so what I need most is correct port placement. I hate trays with a passion, there is no standard format and a lot of them need stupid hard to find flush head screws, and flush for one kind might not be flush in another. Its not like the tray protects the drive from anything, drop it on a hard floor and its going to be just as dead.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Both types have worked for me, without any hiccups, for several years, in tons of servers. See the URL I posted three posts above; it's the more in-depth article that Patrick called out. In it I talk about quite a few options, including the flawed 9W8C4.

hi dba. I was hoping to avoid the icydocks and icepack. Do they work well for you? I've had badluck with icydocks before and I think these types of enclosure is somewhat redundant since they add an extra electronic layer. Of course they're a bit spendy as well.

I am hoping to find the type like 9W8C4 or like for the supermicro trays which I like. An easy and cheap way to do it.

From looking at this link http://www.servethehome.com/picking-35-25-adapter-sata-sas-drives/ mentions Jeff was working on a bit more indepth. But I don't see any subsequent post on that.

By the way, I just found out STH is hosted at fiberhub. I've been thinking of getting 1/2 to full rack there this christmas there. Good to see STH trusts them to host servers there.

d2000

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks dba.

I've decided to go with WD Icepack and won an ebay auction where someone was selling a set of 30 icepacks. This should be good enough SSDs for my project.

Aluminum, thanks for the post.

Unfortunately I think all the server trays I use are screwed in from the sides. But its something that I will keep in mind if I am in another similar situation.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I like the simplicity of this Norco B-D2T3:

Mounting holes on the bottom and sides, open space for air flow, and I believe the thicker high capacity 12mm drives fit.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The B-D2T3 is nice for duplex-mounting drives, but the OPs question was specifically about a way to mount them for 3.5" hotswap bays. You've got to get the connectors aligned into the right place to make that work.

Icepack is perfect. They are passive, just like using a cable. And if you shop carefully on eBay they can be quite cheap, though there don't seem to be any listed right now at reasonable prices.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
The B-D2T3 is nice for duplex-mounting drives, but the OPs question was specifically about a way to mount them for 3.5" hotswap bays. You've got to get the connectors aligned into the right place to make that work.

Icepack is perfect. They are passive, just like using a cable. And if you shop carefully on eBay they can be quite cheap, though there don't seem to be any listed right now at reasonable prices.
Oh, oops. So we're talking about this right:

Oddly enough I have this Icepack from an old Raptor I don't need.
PM me if you decide that route OP, your's for the cost of shipping. Although, you could probably do better buying in bulk on ebay.

d2000

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks but I've already bought a set of 30 of these from ebay so I should be good for a long time.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
wow that's pretty cool. the Velociraptor - i'd be worried about the phy speed (3gbps vs 6gbps) depending on age. Plus they weight a ton!

Thanks Stanza, I might pick up a few of those. I've got an old DL320 that has 4 3.5" drive slots that would be happier than the ghetto 3.5" HP TRAY with the supermicro 3.5->2.5" converter sleds that sort of bolt up!