2x10G+2x2.5G+PCIE Solt+Intel VPRO+U.2 NVME[Minisforum MS-01]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heromode

May 25, 2020
These small boxes are great, but cooling is always an issue. IMO a perforated case, equipped with some kind of tool-less plastic holders for an externally mounted standard 120mm or 140mm case fan, that could be powered from an USB port, could be a solution. Even an option to mount an external fan on both side of the case maybe, if the box is standing vertically.

That would enable users with moderate CPU and nvme storage solutions to run with a small internal fan, or enable the use of very powerful CPU and fast nvme + fast 40GB+ networking cards, without much noise, and also easily replaceable fans.

I don't see any other way to cool these without constantly having to worry about the small internal fans failing, and frying the NIC, or throttling the nvme ssd / cpu..

is it a totally dumb idea?

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Looks like it can only be placed vertically for ventilation, if being used at home or small office.

@JaxJiang If it can be placed in a network/server rack, probably it needs a tray similar to the one of "Netgate 8200" which can put the external power supply on it, and additional silent fans.

Further more, another design to use a wider case with internal power supply, may be easier to put it in a rack. But this will increase the total cost of this product.

Last edited:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
@JaxJiang Did this system ever get shipped and reviewed?
I could see myself buying one. Or two.
newer update(in Chinese):

Looks like Dec 20(less than 2 weeks) it will be on the market.

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
I'd been looking at some of the r86s machines, and while to be fair they are a really a very different size/category.... this one looks amazing to me... very interested.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Last time i was patching x710 to acceprd 3rd party transceivers it wasn't a five minutes job at all... Maybe things have improved recently.
If you use the tool below, the process is fairly quick and painless. :)

It isn't necessary in the case of this particular mini PC, but still. :)

stich86

May 24, 2023
Ordered one forum EU DE shop.

@JaxJiang any real ETA? On the shop they said end of Jan ship from HK. Hope a little bit earlier

thanks!