2U Short JBOD Disk shelf - SAS3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Looking for approx 12 drives disk shelf supporting SAS3 backplane. Don't need to install m/b. Just for power supply and drives.
Current setup is becoming a hot mess with cables connecting to drives.
What are the options? I read somewhere a regular chassis can be mod to run with m/b.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
12x3.5"
(you can throw out the mobo etc)
and install this board for fan controls - and disks (keep note there are different boards - and you should choose one that offers enough fan headers for you setup.

24x2.5"

I think those are cheapest options.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
If you're a DIY person (all random links from eBay/Amazon)

Plus a rack shelf to put it all on, and some sort of cooling solution. Not sure if it's the cheapest overall solution, but I have this all on a ~14in shelf in my rack and it's working pretty well.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Great info! Give me a few days to digest this.
Possible to have a mix of both 2.5 and 3.5” drives?

Still trying to digest info from this.
May need to put a table together

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
12x3.5"
(you can throw out the mobo etc)
and install this board for fan controls - and disks (keep note there are different boards - and you should choose one that offers enough fan headers for you setup.

24x2.5"

I think those are cheapest options.
NOT going to work.

In this system, the PSUs plug directly into the motherboard. There is no way to power the backplane, as there is no PDB (Power Distribution Backplane) that has ATX power as in other chassis.

Reactions: nexox

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
NOT going to work.

In this system, the PSUs plug directly into the motherboard. There is no way to power the backplane, as there is no PDB (Power Distribution Backplane) that has ATX power as in other chassis.
The jbod board uses standard motherboard atx power plug - nothing stops you from removing supermicro pdb, and psu's, and putting in your own psu.
While 2u may be challenging - typical height of 2u is 8.9cm in while atx psu height is typically 8.6cm.
There are slim psu's, or some SFX ones too that will fit fine.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
24x2.5"
Shorter works better as network equipment sit on the other side of the rack.
Is compatible AOC-SAS3-9300-8E HBA required or any LSI compatible works?
Is there anything else needed for the setup?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
any hba with external ports works. 9300-8e/9400-8e etc.

Just make sure you have correct cables, and their length;
(both of those listed cards use 2x sff-8644 - pick correct length - no point of having a lot of cable)
For the 2u box, that doesn't come as jbod you need following adapter
and potentially longer internal cable (sff-8643 as they often aren't made to reach end of the case - again pick correct length for your use)