$2K SSD Budget for 4 Node VSAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

k0nf1gt

Apr 12, 2017
Hello STH,

As of now I'm considering the following SSD configuration for the VSAN build but would like to leverage your opinions before pulling the trigger:

Per node:

(1) 200GB Intel S3700 (Cache)
(1) 480GB Intel S3500 (Capacity)
Each node will be on 40GbE

Primary use:

Mostly labbing VMware VMUG and other certification labs. I will keep vCenter/MSSQL/AD on this storage at all times, but have a 5th node that is AIO with about 20 spinners that additional VM's will be stored on.

I figure this would be a good starting point where I could add a 2nd capacity SSD to each node sometime next year (if needed). My current vSphere datastores are (2) 6 Disk 2TB WD RE4 stripped mirror vDev's and (1) 6 Disk 4TB RE4 RAIDZ2 vDev which I'm pretty happy with. I'm hoping the all flash VSAN performance would be significantly better but VSAN is unknown territory for me. My intention is to use VSAN for my high performance datastore.

I'm open to adding an all SSD vDev to my current ZFS and scrapping VSAN if that would give me the best performance for the money. Although, I like the idea storage resiliency if I need to take down a node for service. My AIO requires all VM's to be shut down which is a pain.

So am I on the right track with the S3700/S3500 SSD's for this budget or should I consider something else?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!