2696 v2 for $16.50. 2697 v2 for $25 or less

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nexox

May 3, 2023
do you happen to know any active narrow cooler for this board?
If you are willing to pay more for something quieter than a 2U cooler, the Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 tower cooler also fits, but you need to check the bracket included with any given cooler, because the original kit came with both narrow and square ILM options.

Reactions: Filez

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
If you are willing to pay more for something quieter than a 2U cooler, the Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 tower cooler also fits, but you need to check the bracket included with any given cooler, because the original kit came with both narrow and square ILM options.
are you trying to find a dual cpu board to fit in a standard small case? I don't like the narrow ilm since that limits your cooler options

nexox

May 3, 2023
are you trying to find a dual cpu board to fit in a standard small case? I don't like the narrow ilm since that limits your cooler options
I'm not, someone else asked about a specific board that comes with narrow, presumably to fit the extra DIMM slots. I already made that mistake with dual 6132s in a smallish ATX case, square ILM LGA3647 turns out to be not at all what you want to shop for...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The dynaron narrow 2011 COPPER heatsink (2U) is quiet and very efficient compared to the cheaper steel version.

I could run the supermicro 216 with 2 of those wtih the top off 5' from me in my office all day, and while I can hear it it's NOT loud loud or annoying mmmzzzz sound some make.... the steel supermicro and steel intel heatsink\fan combo are louder and some do have a weird buzzzz fan sound too.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I'm not, someone else asked about a specific board that comes with narrow, presumably to fit the extra DIMM slots. I already made that mistake with dual 6132s in a smallish ATX case, square ILM LGA3647 turns out to be not at all what you want to shop for...
extra dimm slots usually come with bigger boards . If you want extra dimm slots beyond the usual 8/cpu, you should look for bigger board.

The ilm coolers are usually actually for smaller sized board to fit smaller chassics and not really to have increased number of dimm slots. Although i guess you could say that without that ilm coolers there would be even less dimm slots inside the smaller chassics.

nexox

May 3, 2023
extra dimm slots usually come with bigger boards . If you want extra dimm slots beyond the usual 8/cpu, you should look for bigger board.

The ilm coolers are usually actually for smaller sized board to fit smaller chassics and not really to have increased number of dimm slots. Although i guess you could say that without that ilm coolers there would be even less dimm slots inside the smaller chassics.
I was thinking about this one from earlier: Supermicro Dual Intel Xeon E5-2600v4/v3 LGA2011 E-ATX Motherboard w/ Heatsinks | eBay
Also all 2011 coolers are ILM, the difference is narrow vs square. And I'm not shopping for these things personally.

I believe Supermicro heatsinks are aluminum.
Most of them have copper heatpipes too, even the 1U coolers use a flat spiral of heatpipes in the base plate, and some of their base plates that look like aluminum are actually plated copper.

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
Anyone know if Asus Sabertooth X99 can run RDIMMs with a v4 Xeon? I find this board has RDIMM items in its QVL list. I have read many reports of ASRock X99 boards being amenable to them as well. And also reports that ASUS work. Just not been able to find anything re: this specific board. I have a separate Gigabyte x99 board for which these may not work, but that’s okay. I’m not exactly in need of a 1TB poor mans server but I will gladly do it for the lulz and run insanely huge LLM models at molasses speeds (or make a comfortably large ramdisk) with a broadwell xeon, while dreaming about having a threadripper 7995wx, once the 128GB LRDIMMs come down in price if LRDIMMs running on x99 is a thing…

Last edited:

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
check the DDR4 2133 R-DIMM Qualified Vendors List (QVL) on the Asus Sabertooth X99 support pages :cool:
Yes! I found this but would like to know what exactly i should be able to extrapolate from this information other than that in theory RDIMMs can work, what would it mean for various LRDIMMs out there? Possibly spend $15 for 16GB or $25 for 32GB DDR4 LRDIMM to test out, and today 64GB modules (now $55ish, acceptable value, already more than twice cheaper than 32GB ECC UDIMM) would allow 512GB, 128GB modules (around $300… not there yet) to 1TB with 8 sticks. Would not be shabby at all getting 1TB with 4 channels of bandwidth but wont make sense until the cost of entry dips below $1k, which it would if they can approach the per size cost that the 64GB modules are already at now.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ok, aluminum not steel.. ;) the point is the copper ones work noticeable better, and are quieter... get the solid copper ones... they are heavier too :D

Reactions: Filez

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I doubt any usual X99 MB would run LRdimms. they would probably run RDIMM but usually only "server" boards run lrdimm.

I even thought lenovo d30 would run lrdimm. was very disappointed that it doesn't ;(

Last edited:
Reactions: unphased