24U rack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Planning on picking up this rack tomorrow. Does anyone see any hardware of interest in the rack? all looks old to me but I am not sure what a few of the things are.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Got all of the gear bought and inventoried a bit. Pictures below for anyone interested.

The best part is the 3 HP boxes at the end

2 DL360 Gen7 Dual L5640 32GB ram 2 years warranty left
and HP storageworks DL2600

Last edited:

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Nice! Just too bad they always pull the drives including the caddy's...

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah unfortunately he couldn't give me the drives, i do have all the caddies though. they are in a box

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
Yes, the business was downsizing, picked up all of the above for $500
Wow! That HP DAS alone is probably worth more than that. I'm guessing the HP servers have a P411 or similar to connect to it? One tip - link those warranties to your HP account and download Service Pack for ProLiant while they're still covered so you can apply the latest firmware to everything with one installer.

Lots of tape storage in that rack!

Reactions: Patriot

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah the two hp servers have P411's. thanks for the tip on the warranties. These are under warranty until 2017. Could that DAS be used for a ZFS array somehow or am I stuck with some type of hardware raid?

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
You could possibly connect that DAS to something like a H221 HBA, though I'm not sure that's 'officially' compatible with your G7 servers or if it would work for ZFS - probably the only side effect of a non officially supported card being installed would be your fans going nuts, but it's an HP model so it might be able to read the temp sensors. Maybe check out what the officially supported HBA card was for that series of server. Note the "H" before the number, that means it's an HBA versus the "P" cards which are RAID cards.

That said, you have a really nice hardware RAID system there - if I had that I would take advantage of it's capabilities. I tend to be very optimistic when talking about HP gear, though :).

Based on the setup you have there, though, I'm wondering if that was used in a cluster configuration with both machines connected to the DAS at the same time?

Do the servers have iLO Advanced licenses installed?

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I do not know how to determine if they have ilo licenses installed. I dont think it was used in a cluster as on one of the two servers has the external ports to be connected to the DAS

weust

Aug 15, 2014
If I remember correctly, I don't boot my servers at work that often, you shoul see it on the screen when booting up.
It will show the iLO information, and you either see it there or after you press F8 to configure it. Think it's F8.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
If I remember correctly, I don't boot my servers at work that often, you shoul see it on the screen when booting up.
It will show the iLO information, and you either see it there or after you press F8 to configure it. Think it's F8.
Right, it'll show up somewhere at POST. F8 can take you to different places depending on where you are in POST, but when iLO is initializing it will take you to iLO configuration. On newer BIOS' there will be a collection of blue checkboxes in the bottom right corner that will indicate what features are present/enabled.

Just make sure that if you do have an iLO advanced key installed you make note of it before doing an iLO factory reset, otherwise it'll be wiped!

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Not sure why you would want to use ZFS when you have a very capable Hardware raid setup.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I am relatively new to enterprise type systems. From what I have learned so far hardware raid is a bit of a thing of the past. Aren't almost all storage systems these days zfs?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
My opinion would be that hardware RAID still VERY much exists. Most people who think it's dead seem to be home/Hobbiests that can't or won't afford true hardware RAID controllers. Or want the ability to mix and match drives and such and get the associated pros and cons that come with that. Any time I have a choice, hardware every time. Very few storage systems that I'm aware of are ZFS, and those that are, seem to get sneered at a lot - correctly or not is the debate. But hardware RAID is very far from dead.

Reactions: Patriot