24port, lowpower, poe, sfp+ and basic vlans - ideas?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Hey guys.

So.. im considering a new switch at home. Moving all gear to the basement and want to remove a switch from the attic. But.... that means I need POE and sfp+ in one :)

I'v been considering netgear, which seems to be pretty good value for money. So trying to spot one on ebay for cheap :)

Any ideas / input?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
You may have to rethink "low power" as a requirement if you're going to do poe. 802.3af specifies 15.4 watts per port, so that certainly adds up. POE switches must have sufficient power supplies and cooling.

Reactions: NetWise

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I know low power and poe doesnt add up. What I ment was.. Low powerconsumption ontop of what the poe devices pull from the unit.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Then you are saying you need a POE switch that has SFP+ port in it and it is the low power consumption. So what is your budget and how many ports do you need exactly?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Im saying, the overhead or general non-poe active usage would be low.. that would be a win for me.

Budget, not fixed.. if I can find the right switch i'll try and scrape together whats needed.
24 ports would be the best option, 16 can be managed

Jab.R

Apr 16, 2016
Cincinnati OH
You realize that SFP+ ports can't do POE? How many SFP+ ports, how many POE devices? If you need more than one or two SFP+ ports then you are best off with two devices, one dedicated to POE.

Room treatments for headphone users

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I just did the same 2 weeks ago. Bought a GS728TPP off eBay for about $240 shipped. 24 PoE+ gigabit ports with 4 SFP uplinks up to 256 vlans. I couldn't find anything better that's cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NetWise

maze

Apr 27, 2013
You realize that SFP+ ports can't do POE? How many SFP+ ports, how many POE devices? If you need more than one or two SFP+ ports then you are best off with two devices, one dedicated to POE.

Room treatments for headphone users
Yes, I am perfectly aware... just need two sfp+ ports. At the moment im running 4 surveillance cams and two ubiquiti AP's. So thats 6 poe devices currently. Would love room for two more for future expansion though.

I just did the same 2 weeks ago. Bought a GS728TPP off eBay for about $240 shipped. 24 PoE+ gigabit ports with 4 SFP uplinks up to 256 vlans. I couldn't find anything better that's cheaper.

Good option, but doesnt look like it has sfp+ though :(

Check out used Juniper EX-series switches on eBay. They may fit your bill.
Thanks, I totally forgot about junipers switch gear. Will check them out :)

Last edited:

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
Good option, but doesnt look like it has sfp+ though :(
ok so I just received that switch that I ordered off ebay and tried to power it on. first thing was that it tripped my breaker. so i isolated it on a different circuit by itself and tried powering on again and it's totally DOA. oh well. obviously i'm going to send it back, and now i'm not sure if I want to try another of the same model or find a completely different PoE+ switch...

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
You could also look at the brocade icx 6450