2011 board compatible with ES chips

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Following on from my interesting times with the Asrock 1150 board, i'm thinking of utilising it or its replacement elsewhere and maybe look for a dual cpu board for my workstation instead.

I have a pair of 2011 ivy bridge engineering samples QE5F chips.. and was wondering what boards would be compatible (cant seem to find what stepping these chips are). Ideally ATX sized and well priced (i know.. wishful thinking) plenty of USB ports and PCIE slots and ideally windows 8.1 compatible.

I will also have to get more ram as i'm not sure using ecc uDIMMS is good on a E5 is it?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Steve

Shadow.X

May 8, 2015
Following on from my interesting times with the Asrock 1150 board, i'm thinking of utilising it or its replacement elsewhere and maybe look for a dual cpu board for my workstation instead.

I have a pair of 2011 ivy bridge engineering samples QE5F chips.. and was wondering what boards would be compatible (cant seem to find what stepping these chips are). Ideally ATX sized and well priced (i know.. wishful thinking) plenty of USB ports and PCIE slots and ideally windows 8.1 compatible.

I will also have to get more ram as i'm not sure using ecc uDIMMS is good on a E5 is it?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Steve
Intel boards are very picky, avoid those for ES chips.

ECC unbuffered is fine on E5, you just have a lower overall memory limit compared to Rdimms. Also, you can't mix and match Rdimms with Udimms

Reactions: 5teve

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
All the SuperMicro boards I've used for 2011 v1/v2/v3 have been ES friendly, but my ES are usually later revisions or the identical retail version samples.