2 x 8TB WD Mybook (refurb) - $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Can't decide if I want these, maybe you all will clear him out and I won't have to decide.

WD Western Digital 8TB MY BOOK External Hard Drive WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN X 2 = 16TB | eBay

2 x 8TB WD MyBook (refurbs), for 16TB total - $349. Buy 1, get 1 15% off, makes the 2nd pair of 8TB drives $296.65. So 4 x 8TB drives for $645.65. Not sure how I feel about the 20 day lead time, but the seller has a lot of reviews.

I just shucked a few 16TB MyBook Duos for the WD Reds, but it's tempting to get 4 x 8TB drives for ~$160 each.

ken_m

Jan 9, 2017
Nope, shows $798 for me too in US. But don't worry.... if you buy two, you get a whole 15% off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
eBay user is known for triangulation fraud. They're only "selling" WD products because they're the only drive vendor left that does advance RMAs (which they use stolen credit card numbers for). Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: odditory and croakz

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I think BlueFox nailed it. The 20 days lead time means there's no honest drive sitting there ready to ship. I keep a close eye on WD80EZZX stock and pricing on eBay and various sites and there are a few giveaways for sellers that are likely gaming WD advance exchange (this is why we can't have nice things). They're excellent drives for bulk storage BTW, but then Hitachi internals always are.

Blue Fox: BTW how are you my friend, long time no speak since the HP Expander days at [H]!

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I think BlueFox nailed it. The 20 days lead time means there's no honest drive sitting there ready to ship. I keep a close eye on WD80EZZX stock and pricing on eBay and various sites and there are a few giveaways for sellers that are likely gaming WD advance exchange (this is why we can't have nice things). They're excellent drives for bulk storage BTW, but then Hitachi internals always are.

Blue Fox: BTW how are you my friend, long time no speak since the HP Expander days at [H]!
Hi Odditory, do you mean that this is a fraud sales? I placed my order yesterday. If it is the case I will ask for refund.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
I can't really see how he can get them so cheap and turn a profit with all ebay and paypal fees. Something is off for sure.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Hi Odditory, do you mean that this is a fraud sales? I placed my order yesterday. If it is the case I will ask for refund.

Not fraudulent but questionable. You'll probably get your drive(s) I'm sure (based on the guy's feedback) but it's a gray area.

I personally wouldn't deal with a seller like that, but then I wouldn't deal with those known sellers that wipe SMART data and sell drives as "new - other" either.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
eBay user is known for triangulation fraud. They're only "selling" WD products because they're the only drive vendor left that does advance RMAs (which they use stolen credit card numbers for). Just something to keep in mind.
So how do you watch out for Triangulation fraud? Is it enough to follow the Too Good to be True rule or.....?

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
So how do you watch out for Triangulation fraud? Is it enough to follow the Too Good to be True rule or.....?[/QUOTE

My guess from what I've read, is that the receipt/delivery docket will have a different seller details.
(i.e. with triangular fraud, the EBay seller uses stolen credit card details to order your goods from another store and have them shipped to you. Thus keeping your payment and using someone's stolen credit card to purchase the item. That's why goods are so cheap.)

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015

Hey there! Doing pretty well. Yeah, barely active on [H] these days (seems like all the big names in storage are here now, hooray!). Hardware collection only keeps growing. Still hanging onto my Areca cards and Hitachi drives (He6 instead of the 2TB Deskstars now), though as I get older, have less and less time for all of this sadly (turning 30 isn't that far away now). Had ~500TB briefly last year while I was migrating 2 servers at once, much to the dismay of my girlfriend.

How is everything on your end?
You'll get the drives, but you're indirectly defrauding WD in the process. If ethics are of no concern, you could just buy your own stolen credit card numbers and go through the whole thing yourself instead of handing that guy a bunch of money. Naturally I wouldn't recommend nor endorse that as apart from being illegal, I think we (as in the members of this forum) are above that in terms of ethics.

I actually talked with this guy when he was just starting out in late 2015 and this isn't the first time his stuff has been posted here (see: Questionable 6TB Drives). The number of red flags wasn't even funny. Unfortunate that he has been so "successful" in this endeavour.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Hey there! Doing pretty well. Yeah, barely active on [H] these days (seems like all the big names in storage are here now, hooray!). Hardware collection only keeps growing. Still hanging onto my Areca cards and Hitachi drives (He6 instead of the 2TB Deskstars now), though as I get older, have less and less time for all of this sadly (turning 30 isn't that far away now). Had ~500TB briefly last year while I was migrating 2 servers at once, much to the dismay of my girlfriend.

How is everything on your end?

You'll get the drives, but you're indirectly defrauding WD in the process. If ethics are of no concern, you could just buy your own stolen credit card numbers and go through the whole thing yourself instead of handing that guy a bunch of money. Naturally I wouldn't recommend nor endorse that as apart from being illegal, I think we (as in the members of this forum) are above that in terms of ethics.

I actually talked with this guy when he was just starting out in late 2015 and this isn't the first time his stuff has been posted here (see: Questionable 6TB Drives). The number of red flags wasn't even funny. Unfortunate that he has been so "successful" in this endeavour.
Just requests to cancel the order.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Im tempted to buy one and leave a negative feedback but this is not my business to do so. Wd could find this if they tried and i dont think they care too much if thid is going for few years.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Im tempted to buy one and leave a negative feedback but this is not my business to do so. Wd could find this if they tried and i dont think they care too much if thid is going for few years.
They'll probably be able to get eBay to pull the negative feedback sadly. I'm not really sure what can be done.