2 PSU's or 1 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Which is preferred and why? Right now I'm running 1 PSU per server but I know that with 2 the load is shared. But none of them are coming close to the rated capacity of the PSU's so would I gain anything by running 2? Also, does the 2nd PSU add to the total power draw?

TIA

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I also seem to recall I think Microsoft OCS v2 systems have a single PSU as well, redundancy handled at the application/VM level. I could be very wrong on this as I was looking now and did not find the reference.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I only have one power source going to the rack so redundancy irrelevant. My main concern was stressing the one psu or the pdu. As it is, I have all the spares I'll ever need. :)

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
At home I only run a single PSU...second PSU is sitting there but unseated. It will consume more power, how much more depends on the Power Supplies and the Power Distribution Unit. I've seen upwards of 30w extra @110v.

At work dual psu's, going to dual PDU's, fed from redundant UPS units, and generator...don't need a PSU failure causing an outage on prod.