2.5" SAS drives in 5x3.5" RAID Cage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Hi all,

I'm getting a few 2.5" 300GB 15K SAS drives to play with, this will go into my workstation which does not have a SAS backplane. I have a Supermicro drive cage: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Mobile Rack | CSE-M35T-1 that's for 3.5" drives, is there's any way with some sort of adapter or creative mounting with screws that would allow me to use the drives in that enclosure?
Another approach is that SAS drives have that tab between power/data connectors which blocks the SATA keyed power connector, it also seems that if I have SATA plugs, I can just "break off" the keys and run the power connector directly to the drive, data would be provided by a fan out cable coming from my SAS controller.

Any thoughts between either routes and if they will work?

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I suspect that MCP-220-00080-0B trays will fit, but I'm not sure if the SAS/SATA bit will work.

Flenser

Feb 14, 2015
Icy Dock do a mobile rack that takes breaks out a single port for each SAS/SATA drive:
MB994SP-4S 4x2.5" SAS/SATA HDD Hot Swap Mobile Rack
MB994SP-4S_ToughArmor Series_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

Icybox do as similar item that will break out dual-ports for SAS drives:
IB-2222SSK 4x 2.5-inch Dual Channel SAS/SATA HDD Backplane
Icybox IB-2222SSK 4x 2.5-inch Dual Channel SAS/SATA HDD Backplane: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
Watchout on icy dock mobile racks and supermicro. In some cases they work, in some they don't

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Watchout on icy dock mobile racks and supermicro. In some cases they work, in some they don't
Yea I had the same issue with Supermicro cage in desktop cases, the 5.25" bays had "guide tabs" to help install optical drives which I had to dremel down so it's flush in order to fit the 5in3 cages