2.5" JBOD SM -- Cheap Disk to populate

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I purchased the 2.5" SM JBOD chassis in (well that's how I'm using it) Great Deals thread and it has: 16x 2.5" hot-swap bays.

Can you run WD Velociraptor 600gb w/out the heatsink in the SM chassis or not enough cooling? I only ask because I have a handful of these, and was going to setup 8 in one array, and then leave the other 8 for two separate SSD arrays. All utilizing 12Gb/s RAID cards, so eventually I can run 16 SAS SSD on 3 RAID cards or maybe 4 total.

Usage will be database, and 90% reads... data will be loaded to the drives, and then analyzed/read over and over.

I would assume the answer is "yes" to the raptors since you can run other 10k RPM 2.5" int here w/out issue, right?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would assume they are fine. The Ice Pack was there to cool in desktop cases. At least the 24-bay SM chassis I have 15K rpm SAS3 drives running in without issue.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
I purchased the 2.5" SM JBOD chassis in (well that's how I'm using it) Great Deals thread and it has: 16x 2.5" hot-swap bays.

Can you run WD Velociraptor 600gb w/out the heatsink in the SM chassis or not enough cooling?
i was running 8x 1tb versions in the 2.5" chassis of mine for early testing before the main drives arrived, they did not appear to be getting particularly warm.

Reactions: T_Minus