2.5" high density jbod/server that support both NVMe/SAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
so been a few yrs hopefully theres something like this available but ive been out of loop for a while now

basically something like 48x/60x+ 2.5" jbod that can support nvme drives U.2/U.3 etc (not sure how this work for jbod though)

any ideas?

Chriggel

Mar 30, 2024
If it exists, then it would be highly specialized stuff. This isn't common enterprise hardware yet. 48x / 60x 2.5" NVMe means 192 / 240 PCIe lanes and no common platform will support this. And as a JBOD, you want to connect this externally to a server which can then access the individual drives? That's not trivial. I think as of now, there is no such product. I'm also not sure if there will be one anytime soon, because the industry is probably moving into E3 first.

Chriggel

Mar 30, 2024
I was under the impression that jtaj is looking for a native solution. If you're not bothered by the total bandwidth, sure, PCIe switches have been used in products for a while and are an option to make something like this viable, even with an older platform. That dual 2011 system only has 80 lanes in total.